National Big Wig Day
National Big Wig Day:
Celebrated on the last Friday of every January, the National Big Wig Day is an equal opportunity for everyone to don the big wig.
|2022||28th January||Friday||United States|
|2023||27th January||Friday||United States|
|2024||26th January||Friday||United States|
Why National Big Wig Day?
Everyone needs a Big Wig and everyone plays the role of a Big Wig at some point of time in our lives. The Big Wig day is a celebration of those Big Wigs inside of us, to the potential that we have inside us, and the probability of you playing a positive and influential role in others’ lives. You can say that it is about having fun as you are part of a fundraising event for causes that you truly believe in. National Big Wig Day is a celebration of that positivity in each of us, which could possibly cause a positive shift in the lives of others. Irrespective of what you are, you continue to be the big shot or rather the Big Wig in your life and hence a reason to celebrate yourself and others on the National Big Wig Day.
How Can We Celebrate the National Big Wig Day:
National Big Wig Day is not just a celebration of the people who make a positive impact but it also a day for you to make a positive impact. On the National Big Wig Day, a Big Wig is named every year in the honor of whom the celebrations are undertaken. The founder Sharkey nominates the Big Wig and you can be part of this amazing festival with just as little as $1.
Have the wildest of your parties with the wildest of the wigs and raise funds to donate to the division of the American Cancer Society on this day. The idea is not to donate too much but just raise about $1 from each person in the event and collecting it all together for the charity. As you celebrate this special day, you can post your celebrations and how much you were able to donate on this day with the #NationalBigWigDay on your social media accounts and other online forums.
You can also follow the official page of the National Big Wig Day on the many different social media platforms to share the details of the fundraising events you hosted with Patricia and others.
Interesting facts about National Big Wig Day:
On this National Big Wig Day, let us get to know more about the Look Good Feel Better division of the American Cancer Society.
- The Look Good Feel Better division/ program was founded in the year 1989 as a collaboration between the American Cancer Society, Professional Beauty Association, and Personal Care Products Council
- There is a workshop conducted for the cancer patients in this program for two hours which helps in improving their grooming and provides them with options to improve their appearance.
- The workshop aims at providing them solutions to camouflage the impact of the treatment on their bodies and to help the patients regain their self-confidence.
- A free kit of cosmetics is given to every patient participating in this program for them to learn the techniques and to take it with them.
- A free individual consultation is also done for the patients who are not able to attend the workshop for the groups.
- Since the beginning of the program, more than 1 million undergoing cancer treatment have benefited from this program.
- They have online and virtual services and support systems as well to help patients who are unable to reach out in a physical forum.
- There are thousands of volunteers who work in this program offering tips and techniques and supporting this program aimed at helping cancer patients with their appearance.
History of National Big Wig Day:
It was Patty Sharkey, in the year 2016 who founded the National Big Wig Day. She started this trend by posting a picture of herself donning a raspberry and chocolate-colored curly wig with the caption “National Big Wig Day”. The post received an amazing response from people all over with people in Massachusetts, Texas, California, and New Jersey hosting events for the first of the National Big Wig Day and using 75% of the proceeds to the American Cancer Society’s division “Look Good/Feel Better”.