National Clams on the Half Shell Day:
National clams are on the half shell day is generally celebrated on 31st March; this day proposes clam lovers a day to celebrate one of the world’s most uncommon dishes. Calm lovers came together to reveal the thing they have in common, which is clams.
|2022||31st March||Thursday||United States|
|2023||31st March||Friday||United States|
|2024||31st March||Saturday||United States|
Why National Clams on the Half Shell Day?
Clams and clysters are most often served on the half shell. The top half of the shell is excised and is often present on the crushed ice with lemon wedges and cocktail or mignonette sauce. The ‘on the half shell’ presentation allows the diner to pick out the meat from the shell, freely dip it in the sauce and enjoy every bite into the plump mollusk.
While both clams and oysters are a part of the mollusk family, there is quite some diversity of clams.
We celebrate this holiday as a chance to eat clams in a raw way and their natural packaging. A clam’s shell comprises of two normally equal halves.
Clams can be eaten steamed, raw, baked, boiled, and even fried. Not only this, clams can be cooked using hot rocks too.
Razor clams: they are long, diluted clams that sit vertically in the sand requires excess cleaning to get all that sand out before eating. They are often found in the pacific and Atlantic.
Littlenecks: miniature of the hard shell variety, measuring about 1 inch across shucked. They are usually found in the pacific.
Steamers (soft shell clams): soft shell clams that live in total tidal flats and are fragile also take excess care while handling. They are mainly found in the Atlantic Ocean.
The famous ‘on the half shell ‘ recipe came from Rhode Island, where it is often served as an appetizer; clams. The casino is a dish served with bacon and toasted bread crumbs. We got the prescription for clam Casino in 1917 and the little Casino in Narragansett of Rhode Island.
In pursuance of good housekeeping, great America classics Julius Keller and Mrs. Paran Stevens invented clams casino for her guests, as she wanted to serve them something special. After the hotel, the dish soon got fame, word spread, and menus appearing across the nation.
The figurative term for clams is bivalve mollusks, but clams are much cozier to pronounce also shorter. Clams were first found over 510 million years before. Clams can live in freshwater and marine habitats, and their size ranges from so small. Some live to around one year while other oldest clam discovered was probably live over 500 years old.
Clams are formed of two valves that are connected by a blancmange joint as well as a ligament. A ligament can be internal or external and deliver tension to bring the valves apart. Rarest people know that calms have kidneys, hearts, stomachs, nervous systems, and an anus.
The entire member of living species is approx. 9,200 illustrating including both marine and freshwater bivalves. There are over 150 different edible species of clams worldwide. Only a few of these are adopted as food crops.
How can we observe National Clams on the Half Shell Day
- Dig them out
Clam lovers usually dig in and show the rest of the crowd what they have been missing.
- Try a variety of recipes.
This day is in the name of clams so one can try numerous dishes and cooks them on their own and invite other friends.
- Use hashtag
One can click the picture of the clam’s dishes and post it on social media with the hashtag #ClamsOnTheShellDay.
Interesting facts on National Clams on the Shell Day:
- The giant clam has a shelf-span of over 100 years.
- The clam has no head, no biting mouthparts or arms, and legs.
- Clams that are two or three inches in diameter would be there to five years old.
- It takes almost 25 to 28 months for clam larva’s to reach a market size clam.
- Clams are feed less in winters because they need less energy during winter.
- All sheltered fish should be alive when you eat them raw. If they are dead (closed), fling them back.
- There are almost 5,000 different species of oysters worldwide.
- The flower and color of oysters are influenced by the sand or sediment and their water.
- Freshwater clams can live inside an aquarium.
- There are 3 main types of clams: soft shelled, hard clams, and surf clams.
- Clams are sorted as mollusk.
- Only 1/10th of 1% of larvae preserve to become adult clams.
- Purification is needed in cleaning shellfish, removing bacteria so that it is safe for us to eat.
- Quahogs are also a species of clam.
History of National Clam on the Shell Day:
With the evolutions of human clams, along with oysters and other mollusks, became a vital part of the human who live in the coastal area or around rivers.