National Coq Au Vin Day:
Celebrating the delicious French dish, National Coq Au Vin Day is celebrated on the 29th of May every year.
|2023||29th May||Monday||United States|
|2024||29th May||Wednesday||United States|
|2025||29th May||Thursday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on May 29th:
Why National Coq Au Vin Day?
Coq Au Vin is the French version of braised chicken and is cooked with garlic, mushrooms, lardons, or salt port, along with wine. The name translates to “rooster with wine” and is a simple peasant-style dish. The dish is quite popular since it is easy to serve, especially when you are entertaining a lot of guests. If you have an extra bottle of wine at hand, then the best dish to prepare for a small party is the conventional Coq Au Vin. It is therefore interesting and exciting to have a day dedicated to the celebration of this easy to serve and highly coveted braised chicken.
How can we celebrate National Coq Au Vin Day:
Celebrating the Coq Au Vin on this day can be done in many ways. Here we have some interesting ways to make the day more memorable and special for you.
- Enjoy the braised chicken cooked with your favorite wine on this day. You can add your choice of additions to the dish like mushrooms, garlic, etc. to make it a meal that you love.
- If you love the dish and love to cook then you can make the Coq Au Vin on that day and serve it to your friends and family. You can take their suggestions on the kind of elements they would want with their braised chicken.
- If you don’t know to cook then you can always order this dish from a restaurant nearby. You can try the many different varieties of sauces with this chicken and enjoy them on this day.
- It is not just about Coq Au Vin, you can make it a French meal day to celebrate. Experience French dining at a restaurant near you and remember to share your experience and memories with everyone.
- You can join a cooking class to learn more about French dishes and to learn cooking chicken in wine, the French way.
- Since it is a French dish, the day can be used to learn more about French culture and how it reflects in their food habits and cooking experiences.
- You can spread awareness about this day on social media with a #NationalCoqAuVinDay added to your post.
- You can also learn about the origins of the Coq Au Vin and the many different ways to cook them.
Interesting facts about National Coq Au Vin Day:
Before celebrating this day, you might be interested to know more about the dish and cooking chicken with wine. Here are some interesting facts to make the day more exciting.
- There are many ideas on the origins of the dish with people claiming that the braising of the rooster in wine dates back to as early as 6000 BC.
- The rooster was the symbol of courage for the Gauls when they were conquered by Caesar. The event was remarked as the day to have Coq Au Vin by Gilbert Cesbron, a French novelist from 58BC.
- The first mention of a chicken cooked in wine was mentioned in the “Cookery for English Households” in the year 1864 under the name “Poulet Au VinBlanc”. The recipe is quite similar to the current day’s Coq Au Vin.
- France’s King Henry IV wished for all his peasants to have a chicken stew on Sunday which is probably the reason behind the invention of the Coq Au Vin at a later date.
- The Coq Au Vin gained popularity in America with the mention of the dish in “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” by Julia Child.
- There are five different sauces namely the hollandaise, béchamel, espagnole, Demi-glace, and Veloute generally used with the Coq Au Vin.
- Chicken for the preparation of this dish is marinated in wine so that it can absorb all the flavors and give you the best taste.
History of National Coq Au Vin Day:
There is no specific information as to the origins of the National day associated with this French dish. However, the Coq Au Vin is one of the staple dishes of French cuisine and has been in existence for many years now. The day is about celebrating the simplest dish with the easiest available ingredients and yet making it the most delicious meal.