National Date Nut Bread Day
Celebrated on December 22nd every year. The day is celebrated to appreciate the flavorful, wholesome and healthy bread suitable for breakfast.
|2019||December 22nd||Sunday||United States|
|2020||December 22nd||Tuesday||United States|
|2021||December 22nd||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Date Nut Bread Day?
National Date Nut Bread Day is celebrated to appreciate the flavorful, wholesome and healthy bread suitable for breakfast or tea time with a cup of hot coffee. These breads are baked with dates and nuts like pecans, walnuts, etc. It is a delicious wholesome meal with the health benefits of dates and nuts.
How to celebrate National Date Nut Bread Day?
- Post various recipes of Date Nut bread and its health benefits on social media using hashtag #NationalDateNutBreadDay. Also can post the health benefits of dates and nuts.
- Bake some Date Nut Bread on this National Date Nut Bread Day and enjoy it with your family members. Can also pack some for your colleagues at the office and enjoy during the break time to observe this day.
- Busy or bored to bake one just order some Date Nut Bread loaf at a nearby bakery and enjoy with family.
- December is a month of Baking as Christmas is around! Bake the below-given Date Walnut Bread recipe.
8 ounces dried pitted dates, chopped coarsely
½ tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
½ cup roasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup light brown sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ cup diced cold unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soak chopped dates with baking soda, 1/8 tsp salt and hot water for 30mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a food processor process the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder. Then process with cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Add chopped walnuts.
- Beat egg and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the soaked dates mix.
- Add the above mix to the mix in the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir till combined.
- Place the batter in the loaf tin and bake for 55-65mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm with a cup of hot coffee.
- If desired can top it with caramel sauce or cream cheese frosting. But it tastes great on its own.
Interesting facts on National Date Nut Bread Day:
- Dates are dense sweet fruits grown in Egypt since 3200 B.C. Egypt is the top producer of dates in the world. There are more than 3000 varieties of dates.
- Dates are a staple food of Middle-east countries.
- Dates are rich in proteins, vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B5, A and C, minerals like magnesium, copper, selenium, and manganese. It is a good source of iron and calcium.
- Dates are good for the bones, muscles and nervous system of the human body. It is a wholesome food on its own.
- The Date Walnut loaf made with treacle syrup is a traditional food of Britain had with tea. Date Nut Bread is also popular in Scotland, Australia, and New Zealand. It’s popular in the U.S. during holidays.
- As Date Nut Bread use dates as the key ingredient which has high natural glucose, they don’t need much of sweetening agents and hence carry all the health benefits of dates and nuts.
History of National Date Nut Bread Day:
The origin of the celebration of National Date Nut Bread Day is unknown.