National Devil’s Food Cake Day:
Designed especially for all chocolate lovers to rejoice, the National Devil’s Food Cake Day is celebrated every year on the 19th of May.
|2022||19th May||Thursday||United States|
|2023||19th May||Friday||United States|
|2024||19th May||Sunday||United States|
Why National Devil’s Food Cake Day?
Chocolate is often considered the most heavenly food and also the devil’s temptation by some. It is not a wonder that a chocolate cake, with its tempting softness and moisture, is often referred to as the devil’s food for the temptation it offers. The Devil’s Food Cake is an airy dark-colored chocolate cake with an equally delicious chocolate frosting to make it the best dessert or comfort food you would ever want. Unlike the usual chocolate cakes, this one has boiling water for the primary liquid and is often made with cocoa instead of chocolate. Some people also use coffee to give it a different flavor. Whatever be your choice, it is a cake you would love and that is why we have a day to celebrate its essence.
How can we celebrate National Devil’s Food Cake Day:
There are plenty of ways to celebrate a chocolate cake and this day just adds icing to the celebration. If you are wondering about what you could do on this day, then here we have some interesting ways to make this a memorable occasion.
- The best way to enjoy this day is to enjoy a slice or maybe even a good portion of the cake.
- Alternatively, you can try making this cake yourself at home. The recipe is available online and you would often find it alongside the recipe of Angel Food Cake.
- You can do a bake-off competition with your friends or family making this Devil’s Food cake. You can then have the cakes tested for their taste and judged for their softness, airy texture, and moistness. Include a prize for the winner and you can have the best memorable day ever.
- Check out the best bakeries near you and this is the day to go exploring them for the chocolate cakes. You can find out the various cakes and how they each taste. You can post your reviews on the best chocolate cake on social media with the #NationalDevil’sFoodCakeDay.
- You would be surprised by the number of folklores associated with the Devil’s Food Cake. You can check the various stories associated and share them with other chocolate cake lovers.
Interesting facts about National Devil’s Food Cake Day:
Let us get to know more about chocolate cakes as we enjoy a slice of Devil’s Food Cake on this day.
- The Devil’s Food Cake is not meant for the faint-hearted. It has loads and loads of chocolate, and now with cocoa into the mix, there is more flavor. You need to be a real fan of chocolate to enjoy this cake.
- The first or the traceable recipe of the Devil’s Food Cake is from the “Hagerstown Exponent”, the edition from the August of 1898.
- There was also a recipe that appeared in “Mrs. Rorer’s New CookBook” in the year 1902 whose author was Sarah Tyson Rorer.
- Some stories indicate that the cake was first invented at the Hotel Waldorf Astoria. And this was during the 1950s.
- Later in the 1970s, the cake went down in popularity with the news on red dye having a link to cancer.
- White chocolate is not chocolate at all and it is made with sugar, vanilla, and cocoa butter. There is not a single piece of cacao solids or liquor used in its making.
- There is a scientific reason why eating chocolate makes us happier. The chocolate has tryptophan which helps in the secretion of serotonin, the hormones associated with creating a euphoric feeling.
- The chocolate chip cookies that we love were created out of mistake. Ruth Wakefield, in the year 1938, wanted to make chocolate cookies and added chunks of chocolate to the batter. It ended up in the chocolate chip cookies that we know.
History of National Devil’s Food Cake Day:
There are no specific details available on how the day came into existence or how the celebration began. As for the chocolate cake though, the history dates back to the 18th century when the discovery of chocolate happened. Despite the reasons for celebration or how this day kicked off, the day gives us another chance to enjoy the heavenly food cake.