National French Fry Day:
Every July 13th is celebrated as National French Fry Day in the United States.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on July 13th:
Why National French Fry Day?
Another important Food Day in National days is National French Fry Day, a day to celebrate the staple food of Americans. French Fries becomes a common snack that appears on All menus, fast food restaurants, bars and pubs.
It’s an unofficial holiday dedicated to enjoy French fries with its authentic condiments.
As French Fries are not categorized under healthy food, it is good to enjoy it on only today or once in a while. Though it’s a favorite food for kids, it is always better to avoid giving kids since it contains acrylamides which is claimed to be attributed with some cancer diseases.
How can we observe National French Fry Day?
- Order French fries:
It’s the day to order a brunch of only fries and enjoy with your friends and family.
2) Go and eat:
Go for a date with your loved ones and have everyone’s favorite fries. Use hashtags #NationalFrenchFryDay and #FrenchFryday to share your celebration.
3) Put a photo of French fry:
As we already know, French fries comes in various shapes according to country wise, let’s the world know how a French fry would be in your country or state. Take a fine picture of French fries with the authentic side snack and post it on social media. Use the mentioned hashtags.
4) Try a recipe.
French fry is quite easy. Can say very easy.
Ingredients are very few. So, you can definitely try at home.
Potato – 2
Pepper – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1 tablespoon
Step 1: wash the potato and peel the skin. Then cut the potato’s vertically into two. Take a part, and cut in vertical direction. Cut as long stripes. Take a big size potato so that you can get long Stripe sized fries. You can alter the size with as much as thickness or thinness you want.
Step 2: take a pan, and pour oil. You can use any oils like sunflower oil, peanut oil etc. Choose the oil according if you are a fitness freak. Take a small pan or like as it can hold little oil so that potatoes can be deeply fried. As you going to fry only two potatoes, a big like milk pan is not required. You can adjust the size of pan according to potatoes you are using.
Step 3: once is the oil is hot, try a potato piece and check if the heat is adequate to deep fry. Then put the pieces (not all in one go) and deep fry it.
Step 4: sprinkle a pinch of salt and powdered pepper. Serve hot.
The best accompaniments could be Vinegar, Salt, Cheese either grated or melted, hot sauce, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, pickled Onions, garlic sauce, tartar sauce, pickled salt.
Some of the Famous accompaniments’ country wise:
- Japan- Stir fried cabbage, unagi sauce, mayonnaise, katsuobushi.
- Australia – Chicken Salt.
- Canada – cheese curd and brown gravy
Don’t forget to post your outcomes using the mentioned hashtags.
List Your Toppings:
List out your favorite toppings using the hashtags and share it to the world. And tell us your country’s most popular toppings. We have already updated for some of the countries. Comment us the popular toppings. Your help will be appreciated.
Avail the offers:
Most of the fast-food chain restaurants and other local fast-food centres offers huge discount on French Fries today. Don’t forget to avail those offers.
Variants and Processing:
Variants of Process of making French fries differs from country to country. Explore more about how it is being made in your country and share the core steps. Further, though it is called as French Fries because of chain restaurants, it could be of different name in some states. Tell us what it is called in your state with a picture using hashtags #DifferentVariantsofFrenchFriesinUS.
Interesting facts about National French Fry Day:
Some interesting facts surrounding French Fries,
- The “thin stripes” style French fries becomes more popular in the United States because of famous fast food chain restaurants like McDonald’s, KFC Burger King, and Wendy’s. The popularity has spread to other common wealth countries.
- Around 30% of potatoes cropped in the United States is used to make Frozen fries.
- United States exports a huge number of French Fries to China followed by Canada as China imports 70% of French Fries.
- McCain Foods, a Canadian multinational frozen food company is the world’s largest manufacturer of frozen French fries and other potato specialties.
- An American on average eats around 30 pounds of French fries a year.
- President Thomas Jefferson had “potatoes served in the French manner” at a White House dinner in 1802. The first record of French fry is stated only in this documents.it is reported that the president must have encountered while serving as an American Minister to France.
- The town of Florenceville-Bristol, New Brunswick in Canada calls itself “the French fry capital of the world”.
- Other Names or variants of French Fries are Cheese fries, Curly fries , Dirty fries, Kimchi fries , Potato wedges, Steak fries, Poutine , Tornado fries , Waffle fries , Carne asada fries, Crinkle-cut fries or wavy fries, Crinkle-cut fries , Triple-cooked chips etc.
- French Fries has heavy saturated fats and can raise your cholesterol level rapidly.
- French fry is claimed as an unhealthy food as it contains some of the highest levels of acrylamides of any other foodstuff, and experts have raised concerns about the impacts of acrylamides on human health. The presence of acrylamides is associated with kidney, endometrial or ovarian cancers.
- The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) classified batter-coated French fries as a vegetable for trade reasons and it do not meet the standard to be listed as a processed food.
History of National French Fry Day:
The origin if this day is yet to be found and the origin of delicious French fry snack points Belgium and France. The exact origin country cannot be unfolded and is still in dispute. The origin is claimed by both of the countries and some researches still believes the origin would be from Spain, where fries from potato’s were a snack in the colonial era.
Belgium claims that the term ‘French fry’ is actually from the Belgian cuisine and is mistaken and included in “French gastronomic hegemony”, an international famous cuisine. Further, it claims that due to the very close geographic boundaries where sometimes the Belgian invention are mistaken as French inventions because of cultural assimilation.
Some researchers claims that the Saint Teresa of Ávila of Spain cooked the first French fries, and they further refer also to the tradition of frying in Mediterranean cuisine as evidence.
A manuscript recounts that from 1680 in Spanish cuisine, fishing and deep fry in it were common. But, as poor cannot afford, they had the potato’s cut in fish shaped and deep fried it. But the claim was refuted as potato’s were not even introduced/planted in 1680 in Spain reign. It was only in 1735, where potatoes were introduced in Spain.
Another story is that, the Belgian army in world war I had these fries and as they had spoken French, it was mistaken by other soldiers as a French dish and hence the name “French fries” were used then.