National Garage Sale Day
National Garage Sale Day
Observed on the second Saturday of August month is a fun event to set up your mini shop by organizing all the well organized things.
Why National Garage Sale Day?
People sell old items but used ones from their house on this day. This is what is called a garage.
This is a fun day and a fantastic way to earn some good money and sell things you don’t need. There are so many garages across the street, with every Garage having some uniqueness and items different from other stalls.
It is the best way to sort and give your belongings to people who need them. But, unfortunately, there are few things in our household, living room or attic which are unused and we don’t know what to do about them.
This is the day to sell it at a reasonable price and earn a good amount. The main motive of this day is organizing and utilizing the Garage to its fullest. Hosting a garage with the display of your exquisite objects is all that makes this day full of excitement with some wholesome and debatable conversations with strangers.
How can we observe National Garage Sale Day?
- Sorting out things you don’t need and displaying the items in your unique way.
- Make a theme for your Garage. Ideas like a vintage cartoon and the 90s inspired Garage can be an excellent attraction to customers. The themes should be decided according to the items being sold by you.
- Sharing the most creative Garage sign, you see across the street.
- Clicking photos of your Garage and showing your collection to attract more customers with #NationalGarageSaleDay. You can also share if you want to buy using hashtag #BuyGarage
- Sharing tips and tricks for setting up Garage and making good deals with customers.
- Hosting your Garage as a fundraiser for a cause.
- Sharing stories of the beautiful antiques which you own.
- Checking out other garages and buying from other garages.
- Inventing new ways of calling customers and selling your items.
Interesting facts about National Garage Day
- The motive of this day is to celebrate the joy of giving and seeing warm smiles when you buy something you love. A day that is like a fair but carries memories, a distinct aroma of homely feeling and things that have been cared for years.
- The beauty of this day is that people always have something to let go of and things they don’t like. But on the other hand, they have no idea that something they want to let go of, someone wants it to be with them forever.
- The mayhem of people making good deals, chatting with friends, trucks loading with furniture, antiques being admired and mainly a wave of happiness all around the city.
- These garages are generally on the house premises or a particular street a few miles away from the house.
- There are also rare antiques and old vintage items like handwritten diaries, vases, statues, and even furniture, sold at impeccable prices. The prices displayed are quite reasonable, and hence, bargaining can be a bit overwhelming for sellers and buyers.
- The most extended garage sale takes place on US Highway 127 and extends up to six states.
- Items like photo frames, old games, Fishing rods, artwork, camping gear, jewellery etc.
- Few tips to make a perfect garage-
- Keep the rates reasonable but do not undersell.
- Keep the price in front of the item by writing it on paper.
- Negotiate efficiently by politely explaining why you have kept the price for that particular item.
- Clean your objects well to attract and catch the customer’s eye instantly.
- A funny note or sign can be put in front of your vast collection of advertising, and one can make a creative ad by keeping a unique name for your shop or by giving a prompt on social media.
- Keep loads of bills with you to keep a record of transactions.
History of National Garage Sale Day:
C Daniel Rhodes of Alabama started this day in 2001. He got this idea by seeing his neighbors selling their items on weekends and thus, made it a National Garage Sale Day. He is also the founder of Brother’s day and Mulligan day. He found this idea convenient if every household did it at the same time of the day.