National Great Poetry Reading Day:
April 28 is observed as Great Poetry Reading Day. It honors excellent poetry and the prominent poets that write it.
|2022||28th April||Thursday||United States|
|2023||28th April||Friday||United States|
|2024||28th April||Saturday||United States|
Why National Great Poetry Reading Day?
Poetry, the highest form of writing, impacts us since it depicts various aspects of human nature. Poetry is, in fact, one of the oldest arts and a result of human creativity. It expresses multiple human emotions such as friendship, love, death, and others. Even now, poetry reigns supreme in literature due to its immense potential to impact the world. Other writing genres, such as novels, dramas, and short stories, are still dominated by poetry. Around the world, poetry is taught in schools and institutions. The reason for this is that poetry can touch into pupils’ emotions as well as their creativity.
Someone once said that words are the greatest weapons of human beings, and to appreciate the importance of that saying fully, National Today will mark the day of the reading of Great Poetry on April 28. Being part of literature gives us a medium to express our thoughts and feelings through Rhyme, meter, metaphors, and personification by weaving words into simplistic and complicated designs. Like prose, poetry also tells a story, and it can do so simply by placing the word number in a row or punctuating it in a certain way. In the past, poetry was a way for your competitor to make a difference and achieve a new height. Poetry was, in the old days, a way to settle your rivals and reach new heights. In other words, poetry has become a poet. In their court, Kings and queens appointed a poet to sing praises of the ruler and make his enemies degraded.
All the fantastic poetry and poets are celebrated there on his vacation. Poems are words that contain pictures and metaphors to express an idea or emotion. Poetry is thought to have predated literacy, and poetry is all of the oldest written works.
This day celebrates renowned poetry and the remarkable poets that have written them. Poetry can be pre-literacy as an art form. Epic poems seem to have been written as poetry to help prehistoric and ancient societies memorize and transmit orally. Other types of poetry have developed directly from folk songs.
So many forms of poetry limit no one. Choose sonnet, shi, villanelle, tanka, haiku, ode, and ghazal, for instance. Different types of poetry also come from narrative, epic, dramatic, satire, elegy, verses, prose, speculative poetry.
William Shakespeare, Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Robert Frost, Mark Twain, Emily Dickinson, and T.S. were some of the best-known poets. To celebrate the legacy of these great minds of society, we celebrate excellent poetry reading day. To know about their work, understand the culture from their time, and give the due appreciation and respect they deserve.
How Can We Observe National Great Poetry Reading Day:
- On this day, share with others a verse or two. Present somebody, you know, with the great poets.
- Relax and read your favorite poetry. Complete the search to find more about poetry through the Month of Poetry.
- In the living room, host a little poetry reading. Select and read aloud your favorite poems.
- Host a slam of poetry for all the local poets.
- Explore your local library’s poetry section.
- Share your poetry with others or begin a group of poetry on social media using #nationalgreatpoetryreadingday #poetryreading
Interesting Facts about National Great Poetry Reading Day:
- Haiku is one of the best-known forms of poem writing. The Hai has only seven syllables, originally from Japan. There are three lines with 5, 7, and 5 syllables again.
- The Epic of Gilgamesh from Babylon is the oldest written poem. In it, we have a king’s story, Gilgamesh, a half-god. The Epic of Gilgamesh is assumed to be around four thousand years old.
- Mahabharata is the longest poem in the world. It’s an Indian epic poem which is called Mahabharata and which has about 1,8 million words.
- In 1852 John Milton’s Poetic Works was linked with the skin of the assassin George Cudmore.
- In 1275 Layamon’s medieval poem “Brut” first appeared the word “unfriend.” It is also the same poem, coincidingly, that first appears the word “muggle.”
History of National Great Poetry Reading Day:
There is no reported history of National Great Poetry Reading Day. But that’s not an issue; national great poetry reading day is loved by all arts and culture lovers and has been curated for over two decades. In these times of hopelessness and hardships, maybe we need this more, so if only we take a break and rewind and declutter, this day might prove to be therapeutic, and then you’ll have a history to celebrate it in the future!