National Harvey Wallbanger Day:
Celebrated on November 8th every year. The Day is observed to just celebrate the invention of Harvey Wallbanger, an alcoholic cocktail of Vodka, Orange juice, and Galliano.
|2019||November 8th||Friday||United States|
|2020||November 8th||Sunday||United States|
|2021||November 8th||Monday||United States|
Why National Harvey Wallbanger Day?
The Day is observed to just celebrate the invention of Harvey Wallbanger, an alcoholic cocktail of Vodka, Orange juice, and Galliano. It was one of the fashionable drinks of the 1970s with a fun name. It is essentially a screwdriver (Vodka and orange) with Galliano liqueur floated on top. Since it has become unpopular nowadays, Harvey Wallbanger Day is celebrated to revive its popularity.
How to celebrate National Harvey Wallbanger Day?
- Post interesting facts about National Harvey Wallbanger Day on social media using hashtag # HarveyWallbangerDay.
- Have a get together with friends at a local bar and all can enjoy the Harvey Wallbanger Drink and raise a toast to National Harvey Wallbanger Day. CHEERS!!!
- Harvey Wallbanger is one of the easiest cocktails to prepare at home. Try to make the Drink at home with the below-given recipe.
3oz Orange juice
Orange slice and Maraschino cherry
Add Vodka and Orange juice into a tall glass over ice and stir
Float Galliano on top
Garnish with skewered orange slice and maraschino cherry.
Interesting Facts on National Harvey Wallbanger Day:
Many interesting stories roam about the invention of Harvey Wallbanger.
Lets read a few interesting ones!
- The Harvey Wallbanger was invented by Donato ‘Duke’ Antone in 1952 at the “Blackwatch Bar” in Hollywood, California. He named it after the bar’s regular customer a Manhattan beach Surfer.
- One story is that – it was named after a Californian surfer – Harvey who loved this cocktail so much, that he had too many and ran into a few walls of water, and the name Harvey Wallbanger was born.
- Another funny story says that, during a party in mid 60’s only vodka, orange juice and Galliano were available. After a few drinks, a guest named Harvey was banging his head against the wall and cursing the drink, and thus the Harvey Wallbanger was born.
- Legend has it that a Californian Surfer Harvey favored the drink, and after losing a surfing contest ordered this drink, and banged his head against the wall for his defeat. Hence the name!
- Real story: Once the Galliano liqueur was the butt of many bartender’s joke. It was because the towering bottle didn’t fit reasonably on any back bar, and due to its potent vanilla flavor, it didn’t fit in any proper cocktail. So the Galliano was not popular and hence in 1970’s Galliano marketing team needed a cocktail recipe to popularise their product in U.S.A. So they designed a party kit with a cartoon character named Harvey Wallbanger, and a drinking game. They featured it on a flight menu and since then the drink became popular. Since then it became a staple of brunch menu.
- Nowadays Galliano is relaunched with a new herbaceous recipe. It resembles the 1896 version with a blend of 30 herbs like star anise, juniper, lavender, vanilla, etc. It resembles yellow Chartreuse both in terms of color and flavor. But the prominent flavor is star anise rather than vanilla. But still, this new version of Galliano works well with the Classic Harvey Wallbanger Drink.
History of National Harvey Wallbanger Day:
Though some claim that it started in 1971, there is no clear proof supporting it. Hence the origin of the day is still unknown.