National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day:
This day is celebrated on 29th March in the United States and is one of the many cake holidays’ zestiest celebrations. Chiffon is a light cake made with almost the same ingredients. It is a combination of both batter and foam cakes.
|2022||29th March||Monday||United States|
|2023||29th March||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||29th March||Wednesday||United States|
Why Lemon Chiffon Cake Day is celebrated?
This day is generally celebrated to display the love for the light lemon cake originally invented by Harry Baker in 1927. As the word spread, he was continuously asked for the recipe and the secret behind his airy and light cake, but he did not reveal it. Although, when he actually revealed the recipe, he said that the cake was all light and fluffy because the egg whites were beaten separately from the yolks. Instead of butter or the conventional shortening, vegetable oil is used.
The Chiffon cake became a sensation in May 1948 after General Mills released the Better Homes and Gardens Magazine secret recipe. It was the first time in 1950 at a General Mills sponsored chiffon cake contest that people came up with different flavors of this cake.
A set of 14 recipes and variations of the chiffon cake was released for the public in a 1948 edition of the Betty Crocker pamphlet. Since then, many changes have been made to the original recipe, like baking the cake in different flavors and adding toppings like frosting, maple and chocolate syrup, sprinkles, etc.
How Can We Celebrate National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day?
Although there are many flavors like chocolate, orange, walnut, etc., available if you are willing to celebrate this occasion, one thing that is a must is baking a lemon chiffon cake for your family. Also, you can click a few pictures and share them with your friends.
A useful tip while baking a lemon chiffon cake is to use rind instead of lemon juice itself.
If you do not want to bake the cake, you can also purchase it from a privately owned small business/bakery, thus supporting them.
#nationallemonchiffoncakeday #lemonchiffoncake #baking #lemonchiffoncakeday
You can use the list of ingredients given below:-
- Flour (2 cups)
- Sugar (1.5 cups)
- Baking powder (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (0.5 teaspoons)
- Vegetable oil (0.5 cups)
- Eggs (8, separated)
- Fresh lemon juice (1/4 cup+ 2 tablespoons)
- Water (1/4 cup)
- Lemon zest (grated lemon peel)(2.5 tablespoons)
- Cream of tarter (0.5 teaspoons)
- Powdered sugar
The preparation can be done as given below:-
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, vegetable oil, lemon juice, water, and lemon zest at a low speed using a mixer
- In another large bowl, combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Using a different set of clean and dry beaters, beat until stiff, not dry.
- Fold 1/4 of the whites into the batter to lighten and then gently fold the remaining 3/4 whites.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch diameter tube pan
- Do not forget to tap the pan on the counter or run a rubber spatula through the cake batter to release the air pockets.
- Bake the cake for about 1 ¼ hour or until it is springy to touch.
- After the cake is done, immediately invert the cake in the pan over a bottle’s neck.
- Leave the cake to completely cool.
- After that, run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Transfer the cake to a plate and dust it with some powdered sugar (or any other topping of choice)
Interesting Facts about National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day:
- Chiffon cakes have lower saturated fat than usual cakes with butter, potentially making them healthier than their butter-heavy counterparts.
- California and Arizona produce 95% of the entire US lemon crop.
- During the European Renaissance, lemon juice was used by ladies as a way to redden their lips.
- Lemon trees bloom and produce fruits(aka lemons) year-round, and each tree produces around 500 to 600 pounds of lemons each year.
- Lemons are hybrids. They are a mix of wild limes and citrons.
- Lemons were first cultivated around the middle ages.
- Lemons grown in arid areas are way more acidic than those grown in wetter climates, which are kind of sweet.
- Due to the high acidic value of lemon, it can be used as a cleaning agent.
- Lemonade, long before its modern popularity in western culture, was one of the favorites of Chinese emperors.
History of National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day:
The day is observed by baking a lemon chiffon cake and enjoying it with your friends and family. The only history known related to the day is the invention of the cake, which Harry Baker did.