National Martini Day:
Known as one of the popular and delicious drinks, the martini is celebrated on National Martini Day every year on the 19th of June.
|2022||19th June||Sunday||United States|
|2023||19th June||Monday||United States|
|2024||19th June||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Martini Day?
Think of James Bond and you would be reminded of martinis right away. Whether you like it shaken or stirred or dirty, the martini is a popular drink among adult beverages. Add a twist of lemon to some vermouth and gin with ice and you have the best drink in your hand. Traditionally a martini has gin and vermouth in equal parts. The day is a celebration to pay homage to this wonderful drink which most of us love to have on any day.
There are many different flavors in a martini and it is a day to enjoy your favorite martini and relax comfortably. They are also quite easy to make and if you love gin, then a martini will bring forth the flavor of gin. There is no shortage of fun memories to bring along when we speak of martini and that is why you need to celebrate this day every year.
How can we celebrate National Martini Day?
If you want to know how the day can be memorable other than by sipping on your favorite martini, then here are some pointers for you.
- It is the day to try making a martini on your own at your place. There are many martini recipes available online and you can try making the classic version on this day.
- If you already love making cocktails and you are a master, then this is the day to try new combinations or create a martini of your own. There is no limit to the kind of martinis you can create like grapefruit martinis, espresso martinis, lemon martinis, cranberry martinis, etc.
- You can find a cocktail bar near you and meet up with your friends for a martini after work on this day. If you can find a bar with the perfect lounge setup then you are in for a treat.
- If you love making martinis or you have a friend who loves to make one, then on this day you can get a gift of something related to martini like a mixer. You can also get the ingredients for some cocktails, meet up with friends, and mix different combinations to see what everyone loves.
- Remember to spread the word about celebrating martinis on this day with a simple post online, with your favorite martini, and tag #NationalMartiniDay to the post.
Interesting facts about National Martini Day:
On this day, let us get familiar with the vocabulary associated with martinis.
- Dirty martini includes juice from a jar of olives or the olive brine to the mix.
- When gin is the primary ingredient, with the percentage of vermouth reduced considerably, it is called the dry martini.
- When a pickled onion is used to garnish instead of olives, then the same is called a Gibson.
- Stirred martini is often preferred, and recommended by bartenders. The shaken version is considered a grade lower than stirred since it uses ice chips that waters the drink down and also shaking adds air to the drink. On the other hand, a stirred martini is smooth and is a better experience. If you remember the Bond movies, James Bond ordered a martini, which is shaken and not stirred.
- A straight-up martini could be either shaken or stirred and it is strained before serving. It is served without ice.
- When vermouth is replaced by Scotch whiskey and lemon is used for garnishing then the resulting martini is called Smoky or Burnt martini.
- When the martini has more vermouth than the gin, it is called a wet martini
- When a thin citrus peel strip is added to the martini, it is called the martini with a twist.
- Popular drinks like appletini, chocolatini, etc., were derived as inspiration from martinis.
- Involving maraschino liqueur, the Martinez can be referred to as a very close cousin of martini. The earlier martini recipes were much sweeter than what we prefer to drink today.
- Most of the martinis are garnished with olives or a lemon twist. But garnish is truly the choice of the person making the drink and the one having it.
- Some would prefer to replace gin with vodka in their martinis. But gin is the traditional ingredient in a martini. But if you like vodka, you can use that as well.
History of National Martini Day:
We do not have specific information on how the day began or who initiated a celebration of the martinis in the country. We do know that there is a world martini day which was initiated by Belevedere Vodka in the year 2012. Irrespective of who or how the day came into existence, it is a day worthy of celebration and we can enjoy our favorite martini on this day as a celebration.