National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day
Every year 29th March is commemorated to recognize the hardship of small business owners and esteem them. This day we encourage their strive for contributing to the economic growth of the country.
|2022||29th March||Monday||United States|
|2023||29th March||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||29th March||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day?
Launching your little startup and making it big and successful is the dream of every businessman. After countless efforts, studying the market requirement, gathering funds, finding business partners, the startup becomes ready for business. It takes lots of endeavor, patience, and hard work to make the business successful and maintain its success.
Some businesses are passed down from generation to generation, while others believe in starting their own business. Either way, a small business does not have many stakeholders to demand a share of profit and does not possess vast manpower to contribute to the business. So the prosperity of business solely depends on the feat owner and demand of customers.
Shopping from these shops makes you feel comfortable. If you regularly buy groceries from one shop, they will eventually know you, and whenever you go to that shop, they will recognize you. They know how much you want to purchase and they can even give you a discount. You will get a warm welcome from them and make your day brighter. It can’t always be possible for big shopping malls to look after your demands meticulously.
These mom and pop shops have a greater influence on the local economy. They can provide someone with a small job at their shop in your neighborhood. Thus resending their profit for the prosperity of your area. Purchasing from these shops has a greater impact on the local community.
The mom and pop shops develop new ideas and products of the unpopular company at a cheaper price. It will always refresh your shopping mood, and you may save some money which you can’t at famous big shops who only keep branded products. If you need some product unavailable in the store, they will care to order that product for you.
So we should take a moment to appreciate their enthusiasm and hard work by celebrating this day as brightly as possible.
How can we observe National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day?
Despite the contribution of mom and pop business in the development of the economy, we often fail to acknowledge their endeavor. So here are some ways to celebrate this day and show our respect for them.
- Shop from a local store. You can shop in your neighborhood shops to help them in earning revenue. If you heard about a new shop opened in your locality, then check out what they are selling and try to be a regular customer of their shop if it picks up your interest.
- Talk about the shops. You can talk about any new shop you visited or the one you regularly visit your friends or relatives and recommend them to shop from those stores. You can take their business card or flyers and handout to those who need. This their business will grow more.
- Motivate children to launch their startup. If you want to make your kids financially self-dependent or pass down your family business to the next generation, then motivate them to start their startup. Teach them how to run a business and ask them about their ideas. It’s high time to participate in running and promoting small businesses constructively.
- Share your thoughts on social media. You should share your experience after purchasing any service from a local mom and pop business store on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Motivate others to go to do the same. You can also encourage any family member to start a new mom and pop business. Then support them by talking about it on social media. Do not forget to add the hashtag #NationalMomAndPopBusinessDay.
Interesting facts on National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day:
There are some interesting facts about the mom and pop business that will make you feel more respectful towards them.
- According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, the USA has over 28 million minor businesses.
- Small businesses are responsible for 77 million jobs, and they create 70% of the new employment in the country. This count is growing higher since starting of 2006.
- Local business returns three times the earnings to the local economy as they hire from the locality and this return amount is very less for big names.
- The Family-Owned Business Institute situated at Grand Valley State University published a report that family-centered enterprises return a greater amount than their non-family-centered peers. Credit Suisse also made the same conclusion.
- 75% of the mom and pop business contribute a portion of their earnings to charity.
History of National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day:
Margie and Rick Segel first celebrated this day to honor the success of their parents’ “Mom and Pop” business. Their parents started a hat shop named “Ruth’s” on 29th March 1939 in Massachusetts. The shop was successful and grew into 10000 square feet. It became a clothing shop for women. It gains a $2 million profit and inspired other small business owners. Since then, this day is observed to motivate the other small start-ups and support them as they partake in developing the local capital economy.