National Oatmeal Muffin Day
Celebrated on December 19th every year. The day is celebrated to appreciate the flavourful and healthy breakfast of the Americans, oatmeal muffins!
|2019||December 19th||Thursday||United States|
|2020||December 19th||Saturday||United States|
|2021||December 19th||Sunday||United States|
Why Oatmeal Muffin Day?
National Oatmeal Muffin Day is celebrated to appreciate the flavorful and healthy breakfast of Americans, the oatmeal muffins! Muffins are generally made of flour, baking powder, and sugar. But the oatmeal muffin replaces the flour with the healthier oatmeal. They are similar to cupcakes, but much-filling ones suitable for breakfast or dinner. They may be flavored more with the addition of raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
How to celebrate Oatmeal Muffin Day?
- Post various recipes of Oatmeal Muffin on social media using hashtag #NationalOatmealMuffinDay.
- Try to make your version of Oatmeal Muffin and enjoy it with your family members.
- Order some oatmeal muffins at a nearby bakery and enjoy with your family or friends.
- Since December is a month of baking as Christmas is around, bake the below given Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin recipe
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 ¼ all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
1 large egg
1tspn vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Combine milk and oats and keep aside for 20mins so that the oats soak and puff up. It is the most crucial step for this recipe and so wait for 10 more minutes if needed.
Preheat the oven to 425F. Spray a muffin pan using nonstick spray or use cupcake liners.
Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, powderedcinnamon,salt) in a large bowl and set aside.
Whisk wet ingredients other than the soaked oats in a medium bowl until combined in a medium bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir. Add the soaked oats and blueberries. Gently fold together until just combined.
Spoon the batter in the muffin pan till the top. Add some oats and coconut sugar if desired on top. Bake for 20mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 5mins and remove from the pan and further cool the muffins on a wire rack for 5mins.
Serve warm or it can be stored covered for further use.
Interesting facts on National Oatmeal Muffin Day:
- The American muffin is a quickbread muffin, unlike an English muffin that is baked like cupcakes. They originated during the mid19th century.
- Muffins are available in both sweet and savory varieties. The oatmeal muffin uses oatmeal as the primary ingredient.
- During the mid-1800s, Americans became crazy about healthy foods and started adding new grains like oats in their daily diet. Thus oatmeal muffins were born.
- Oatmeal Muffins are known for their health benefits. It has low calories as compared to the regular muffins and oatmeal is known to lower the cholesterol levels.
- Sweet Oatmeal muffins are generally prepared with fresh fruits like banana, blueberries, strawberries and dry fruits and nuts like raisins, currants, walnuts, etc.
- Savory Oatmeal Muffins are prepared with cheese, cinnamon, etc.
- Oatmeal Muffins taste great when served warm with hot coffee or hot cocoa as morning breakfast. It’s a filling delicious meal to start a day fresh with lots of energy!
History of National Oatmeal Muffin Day:
The origin of the celebration of National Oatmeal Muffin Day is unknown.