National Parfait Day
Celebrated on November 25th every year.
|2019||November 25th||Friday||United States|
|2020||November 25th||Sunday||United States|
|2021||November 25th||Monday||United States|
Why National Parfait Day?
National Parfait Day is celebrated to indulge and feast on the scrumptious and yummy dessert- the Parfait. The word Parfait is derived from French meaning perfect. It is a French dessert born in 1894. It was traditionally prepared by a technique called sabayon including cream, egg, sugar syrup. The original Parfait recipe was a frozen coffee-flavored dessert made in thin and tall molds. It has now become popular all over the world with a variety of variations adapted by each country.
How to celebrate National Parfait Day?
- Post various recipes and versions of Parfait on social media using hashtag #NationalParfaitDay
- Make your parfait a newer version and enjoy its yumminess with your family members.
- If you are a good cook, invite friends and prepare a few varieties of parfait ranging from the French version, the American version, Healthier yogurt version, savory version and so on. Enjoy the variety of parfaits with friends on this National Parfait Day.
French-style Coffee Parfait Recipe:
1/3 cup sugar
1.5 tsp instant coffee powder
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Add the granulated sugar, instant coffee powder to 100ml water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- In a heatproof bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer until it becomes pale in color. Now slowly add in the coffee mix whisking continuously.
- Now keep the bowl over a saucepan with simmering water ( double-boiler) and keep stirring until the mixture thickens up and coats the back of the spoon.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate the mix.
- After it is chilled, whisk the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour the chilled mixture into the whipped cream and fold into the cream.
- Mix in the espresso beans. Pour in the mixture into a 1lb loaf pan with cling wrap and also cover it with cling wrap touching the mix. Freeze this mixture until firm, approximately 4hrs.
- After frozen remove it from the loaf pan and cut into slices and serve it on a plate. Enjoy the traditional French type Coffee Parfait this National Parfait Day
Interesting facts on National Parfait Day:
- Parfait is basically a french dessert made from a base of sugar syrup, egg and cream and flavored with fruit or liqueur. Preparation of Parfait doesn’t need any special equipment as it contains enough fat, sugar, alcohol and so occasional stirring while freezing doesn’t allow the formation of ice crystals. French-style Parfaits are served on a plate.
- American version of Parfait is a layered dessert consisting of fruit, ice cream, pastries, whipped cream topping, etc. Originally bright-colored gelatins were used. It is usually served in a tall glass or Parfait glass. Difference between a sundae and a Parfait would be the perfect layering of the individual components. Recently Parfaits in the U.S. are made in a simple healthier way by layering yogurt with granola, nuts, fresh fruits, etc. and is served as breakfast.
- In U.K. parfait refers to a smooth meat paste, generally liver(chicken or duck) and sweetened with liqueur.
- In Japan parfait became quite popular in the start of the 1900s. Japan adopted the U.S. version of layered dessert with ice cream, custard, whipped cream and seasonal fruits. But it looks more like a sundae.
- Nowadays even Savory Parfaits like Mexican Parfait, Buffalo Chicken Parfait are becoming popular.
History of National Parfait Day:
The origin of the celebration of National Parfait Day is unknown.