National Sandwich Day:
Celebrating the most favored lunch/snack item of all times in America, the National Sandwich Day is celebrated on the 3rd of November every year.
|2021||3rd November||Wednesday||United States|
|2022||3rd November||Thursday||United States|
|2023||3rd November||Friday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on November 3rd:
Why National Sandwich Day?
Enjoyed by people all over the world in various forms, with meats and cheese, the Sandwich is probably the most beloved food you can have at any time in the day. Being a highly versatile food, Sandwich finds its place in almost every country of the world and every cuisine, modified to suit the palate of the individuals. While there are a variety of sandwiches, each of them has proved quite worthy to be on the menu across the globe. Being a food item that can be easily prepared, it is equally loved by kids and adults alike. It is therefore only natural to honor this versatile food which has found a place in every cuisine. National Sandwich Day is a day to celebrate this endearing food and how it pleases everyone’s palate.
How to celebrate National Sandwich Day?
National Sandwich Day is a day to celebrate sandwiches and it is just right to enjoy your favorite sandwich on this wonderful day with your loved ones. If you love sandwiches then you would be delighted to find that there are many different varieties to have. On the National Sandwich Day, let us give you a few examples of the kind of sandwiches that you can enjoy on this day.
- Chicken Sandwich filled with cheese and fried chicken is probably an ideal breakfast to kick start your day. If you want you can have roast beef or ham or prawns instead of chicken. You can even make it with meatballs to increase their appeal.
- Cheese sandwich which is obviously the most beloved variation of all filled with loads of cheese and veggies if you want as well. You can make it easily and have it grilled to have the best taste.
- Nutella sandwich is quite creamy and is best suited for those who love the taste of the creamy Nutella. Add on a little vegetable to the mix and you have a filling meal.
- Vegetable sandwich which is the best option for veggie lovers and there is no hard and fast rule on the vegetables that you can add to the sandwich. It is entirely your choice on how you want to make it.
- Seafood sandwich will be your perfect companion if you love seafood. Just make it a salad and add between the loaves with cheese and seasonings of your choice.
- If you are looking for a simple option you can choose the bread and cheese sandwich with thin slices of cucumber and lots of butter. It is quite scrumptious and easy to make too.
While these are your conventional sandwiches, you can also try the ice cream sandwich which makes for the perfect dessert. In the place of vegetables, cheese, and meat, these desserts have ice cream with dry fruits between cookies or biscuits and are quite yummy an option to finish your meal with.
What we have given here are just a few simple examples of how you can enjoy your sandwiches. Do share with us the sandwich you enjoyed on the National Sandwich Day and post it with the tag #NationalSandwichDay.
Interesting facts about National Sandwich Day:
On this National Sandwich Day, as we pay homage to the most scrumptious and yet so delicious meal, let us learn a few interesting facts about sandwiches itself.
- While there is no regulation on how a sandwich is to be made, you would be surprised to know that the US Agriculture department insists that the presence of 35% cooked meat and bread of more than 50% is required for a food to be classified as a sandwich.
- Mayonnaise in Burger King is the major contributor of calories of about 31% and about 60% of fat.
- Iran as a country tried to make the world’s largest sandwich and wanted to be part of the Guinness Book of World Records. However before the sandwich could be measured, people who were making it started eating it.
- The famous Elvis Presley flew back and forth to Denver just to buy an 8000 calorie worth of Fool’s gold sandwich. This sandwich has a hollowed portion in the middle filled with loads of peanut butter, a pound of bacon, and a full jar of jelly.
- The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were initially thought of to be a luxury food meant only for the richest.
- A pilot of the spacecraft Gemini 3, John Young smuggled a piece of corned beef sandwich onto the spacecraft and was duly reprimanded for the same.
- Hangover can be cured by a sandwich with bacons, according to a study conducted by the New Castle University.
- McLobster Sandwich is a seasonal option added to the McDonald’s restaurants on the eastern coast of Canada.
- There is a national sandwich of Portugal and it is filled with dry and fresh sausages, ham, steak and of course with loads of cheese, melted into it with beer sauce.
History of National Sandwich Day:
We do not actually have much information about when the National Sandwich Day started to get celebrated. However, we do have some information about how Sandwich began its journey and the history of Sandwich. The drool-worthy Sandwich has its history dating back to 18th century England. Sandwich is the name of a city in England’s shire of Kent. John Montagu who was the fourth Earl of Sandwich is said to be the inventor of this delightful food. He was apparently in love with card games and he ordered his cook to deliver him sliced meat placed between two loaves of bread. He wanted it so that he can eat without cutlery while playing his favorite game of cards. And this evolved into the current version of the sandwich, the most beloved food of all times. Sandwiches were initially referred to as simply bread and cheese or bread and meat. Of course, in honor of the Earl of Sandwich, the food item has been named after the place.