National Single Parent Day
Every year March 21 is celebrated as National Single Parents Day. It is celebrated to honor all the single fathers and mothers across the world for all that they do. They take up the responsibilities of two parents all by themselves. They are true examples of superheroes.
|2022||21st March||Monday||United States|
|2023||21st March||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||21st March||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Single Parent Day?
National Single Parents Day is celebrated each year to show gratitude and appreciation for the single mothers and fathers who raise children without the support of a partner who could have shared the responsibilities with them. Raising children is quite the task and is the most epic journey of your life. Often, partners can feel overwhelmed by the journey into parenthood, so we can only imagine what it must be like for single parents to walk that path alone and all by themselves.
People can be single parents due to many reasons. Some would not have wanted to marry, while for others, the reasons can be more stressful, like a divorce or losing their partner early on in life. Whatever the reason may be, this day marks these single parents’ courage and love towards their children to take up this daunting task all alone.
How Can We Observe National Single Parent Day?
Everyone celebrates National Single Parent Day in their own way. One thing common to all celebrations is that they honor and express gratitude to the efforts, love, hard work, and courage shown by single parents from all parts of the world. Some fun yet heartfelt ways to celebrate National Single Parent Day with your family are listed below. Take your pick or come up with your own unique ideas to make the most of this day.
- Reach out to some single parent, you know. It can be your parent or even someone else, for that matter. But make sure to reach out and make them feel special and loved.
- Organize a party in honor of a single parent. Invite close family and friends and make the most of the day while dedicating it to the most special person at the get-together – the courageous single parent.
- Spread awareness by posting pictures and using hashtags like #singleparents, #nationalsingleparentsday, #singleparentsrock, and so on, on your social media handles on different platforms. The least we can do is curb the social taboo around single-parent families.
- Do something personal for the single parents you know or are in your life. You can cook their favorite dish, pick out their favorite movie, and spend the whole day with them to make them feel appreciated and loved. This will also help you find some quality family time from the hectic life schedules.
Interesting Facts On National Single Parent Day:
National Single Parents Day is a huge occasion for people from single families from around the world to express their love and compassion. It is usually celebrated on a personal level. People also share interesting facts from history about and on this day. Some such interesting facts are listed below.
- 80% of single parents comprise of single mothers. The number of single fathers is very less comparatively.
- Both Julia Roberts and Adele grew up with single parents. This shows that children from single-parent families are not lacking in any way despite the absence of a parent and can very well go on to become huge personalities and excel in their lives.
- Single parents are raising approximately 35% of the children in the United States.
History Of National Single Parent Day:
The history of National Single Parent Day is rooted in the American populace’s struggle to gain recognition for single parents and eradicate the taboo in society surrounding single families. Along with a foundation known as Parents Without Partners, Janice Moglen started spreading awareness regarding the issue and started getting petitions signed to get a day marked in their honor. They were ultimately successful when President Ronald Reagan signed the historic Proclamation 5166 in 1984, granting recognition to millions of single parents. This Proclamation marked March 21 as National Single Parent Day to honor and celebrate the love and dedication shown by them towards children despite the hardships and difficult circumstances. This led the way to organizations and societies being set up solely for the support and benefit of single parents.