National Splurge Day:
Indulge in a day of living luxuriously as you celebrate the National Splurge Day on the 18th of June every year.
|2022||18th June||Saturday||United States|
|2023||18th June||Sunday||United States|
|2024||18th June||Tuesday||United States|
Why National Splurge Day?
It is sometimes to let go and enjoy yourself for a day, dipping into the savings you have in your life. It will not cause any harm to anyone and it soothes your soul as well. We live a life filled with anxiety, triggers causing stress to our mental health, etc. it is important to care for our health, physical and mental, to enjoy our life to the fullest. Having a splurge intermittently can help you to relieve the stress of monotony, and scientifically bring about a burst of dopamine for happiness.
When you splurge on your own, you will have better restraint and keep your spending impulse under control. Self-indulgence will help keep the unhealthy habit of spending at bay and you might even make a splurge fund to spend on these days. When you have a separate fund to indulge in during the days you want to splurge, you will have a better hold on your financials as well.
How can we celebrate National Splurge Day?
Splurge Day is all about splurging and it is not just about you on this day. Here are some ways to indulge yourself on this day and make it a memorable occasion.
- When we say splurge people often assume it is about spending out all your money. It is just an event when you treat yourself to something special. It could be as simple as adding a dollop of whipped cream to your favorite dessert or trying a new restaurant in town. It could be an upgrade to your vehicle or going on a vacation. Indulge in small things to make the day special.
- It is not just you whom you need to spend money to get your dose of happiness. You can also splurge on others on this day. You can book a spa for a friend who needs it or spend a day out with your loved ones, on a trip.
- If you loved splurging and the dopamine resulting from it, then it is time to share your happiness with everyone. Spread the word and let everyone enjoy the joy of splurging on this day. Remember to include #NationalSplurgeDay on your online posts to draw attention to this day.
Interesting facts about National Splurge Day:
Research shows that splurging occasionally can have a great impact on your mood. Shopping can easily repair mood and minimize the sad feeling with an increase in endorphin with a feeling of contentment. It is therefore a good choice to splurge and you can do that on the splurge day. Retail therapy, as it is called, has to be practiced with caution though. This is why splurging on one day can help you feel the rush of happiness, satisfaction, while also keeping you in check on other days.
On this day, it is time to open your wallets and enjoy the day and your life in style. As you spend money on yourself and bask in luxury, here are a few facts to mull over.
- Barbara Streisand created a shopping mall in her basement.
- The lead vocalist of the U2, a very popular rock band, bought a seat on his flight to keep his hat. He spent $700 for the same.
- A ghost detector worth $47000 was bought by the popular Lady Gaga.
- To celebrate the birthday of Russell Brand, Katy Perry bought a couple of tickets to space on the Virgin Galactic flight for $200K.
- In a span of 20 months, Sir Elton John spent nearly $300K for buying flowers.
- We all know that people used the barter system in the early days to get what they want. The currency was introduced to the civilization in 3000 BC.
- The first malls or marketplaces date back to 800 BC when the Greeks had ‘agoras’, a commonplace for selling everything. It is very similar to the malls we visit nowadays.
- In the 1880s many family-owned stores were opening up across the country which slowly led to the department stores in later years. Some of the oldest department stores include Bloomingdales in 1861, Macy’s in 1858, Sears in 1886, and so on.
- It was in the year 1956 when the first mall we know today came into existence. It was an indoor mall, which opened in Minnesota.
- It was in the year 1995 when online sales or eCommerce became prevalent with many corporations indulging in the same. Amazon started as a simple bookseller online in the same year.
History of National Splurge Day:
The day was founded by Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith in the year 1994 to encourage customers to spend a little from their savings to enjoy the day while also boosting the economy. Whatever be the reason behind the day, it is a day to enjoy your life, spending money on yourself.