National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day
National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day:
Celebrated on the second Saturday of every May in the country, the National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day is the largest one-day food drive.
|2023||13th May||Saturday||United States|
|2024||11th May||Saturday||United States|
|2025||10h May||Saturday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on May:
Why National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day?
Food is one of the basic necessities of life and yet there are so many who struggle to get the next meal. In an effort to provide food for the needy, a food drive was organized in the USA couple of decades back. Thanks to the success of this drive, the same is being carried out every year in the spring season, when the holiday season and hence the donations are at an end. The drive is sponsored by the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) and more than one billion pounds of food items have been delivered through them.
The drive has been a huge success over years and has received many accolades and Presidential recognition as well. Currently, the food drive spans nearly 10000 cities, towns across the country and involves the participation of men and women who deliver mails to many places. The drive deserves recognition on its own and hence the National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day to celebrate and create awareness about this drive nationwide.
How can we observe National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day:
As the name infers, celebrating this day doesn’t require you to do anything specific or make a huge contribution.
- You can simply be part of this drive and contribute as much as you can to snub out the hunger pangs of the needy on this day. Drop off non-perishable food at your local post office for transporting to the pantries participating in the food drive.
- Leave out non-perishable food products that can be collected by the postal carrier who will further deliver the same to the food pantries.
- You can check out how the participation works by visiting the official sites of USPS or the NALC.
- You can also be a volunteer to support the drive to gather the food at the post office in your locality to be sent for the one-day food drive.
- You can of course make it a point to deliver or provide food for the needy in your locality on this day as well.
No matter how you plan to celebrate or observe this day, you can spread awareness about this day on your social media by posting about it. Do include the hashtag #NationalStampOutHungerFoodDriveDay on your posts for maximum recognition and awareness.
Interesting facts about National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day:
On this day dedicated to stamping out hunger from across the country, let us get to know some facts about food banks and hunger in general.
- Nearly 8.9% of the total world population goes to bed without a meal on average, which is a staggering statistic and this number is expected to keep increasing.
- Food security is an actual term denoting the person who has no clue when or where their next meal will come from. Staggeringly enough more than 45 million people in the US were living in a food-insecure situation in the year 2013.
- More than 50% of the households classified as food insecure were part of the food drive organized in the country in the same year.
- UK has nearly 2000 food banks as per the studies in the year 2017.
- Nearly 45 million people in America rely on the SNAP program to get their next meal.
- Hunger can be the cause of many health problems like asthma, depression, and more in children emphasizing the need for the food drive.
History of National Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive Day:
It was in the year 1991, the food drive was first started out as a pilot program and was quite successful. And the day has been observed ever since for the last twenty years on the second Saturday in the month of May. The initial drive had participants from ten different cities in the country, and it was decided to have the food drive in the spring. The reason being that this is the time of the year when the foodbanks generally dry up and struggle to meet the demands with the holiday season coming to an end. Be part of this drive and take a pledge to eradicate hunger from the country completely.