National Take A Hike Day:
Observed annually on every November 17th, the National Take A Hike Day encourages us to hit the trails and catch some fresh air with friends and family! With many hiking trails across all the states in the US, don’t miss exploring your nearest trails!
|2020||17th November||Tuesday||United States|
|2021||17th November||Wednesday||United States|
|2022||17th November||Thursday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on November 17th:
Why Take A Hike Day?
Looking back at history, hiking was the norm for our ancestors. Whether in search of food, water, resources, or work people hiked all the time!
However in recent times, we spend most of our time behind desks, and even when we do get out, we don’t enjoy it as it is tiring! With Thanksgiving around the corner, National Take A Hike Day is here to get your appetite ready and give you a break from the busy urban life!
Hiking is a great way to build your muscles, soak in the sun rays, enjoy sunsets, sunrise, and bond away with friends and family!
As per the 1968’s National Trails System Act, Congress has been working on completing the majority of the historical and scenic trails. Today the Pacific Crest Trail and The Appalachian Trails are ready and available for hikers! Six more of such trails are yet to be finished but some portions are available for hikes along all these trails!
Depending on your stamina and your group’s stamina, you could choose to hike for a couple of hours to multiple days.
Many people across the globe go hiking often. It is a great past time to connect with nature and people! With the busy lifestyle, most of the urban folks lead, many organizations have come forward to organize hikes regularly throughout the year. Many passionate hikers tend to become professional trainers leading and guiding people through various treks!
So whether you like taking a walk through the wilderness, climb those hills, explore waterfalls, or just follow the river, remember not to worry about work and enjoy the bliss of nature as well as the company of loved ones!
How Can We Observe National Take A Hike Day?
- Explore the nearest hiking trails!
Check out the best hiking trails near you. There are numerous hiking trails in the US for you to choose from! You could plan to hit a scenic trial or a historical trail today!
- Go hiking!
Invite friends and family to join you for the hike! If you are new to hiking you could also take guidance from professionals to guide you and lead you! Don’t forget to carry plenty of water, essential medicines and wear comfortable shoes!
- Note Interesting things during your hike!
You will come across many interesting trees, leaves, insects, birds, stones, or sceneries. Make a note, click pictures, soak in the experience, and move on to collect more!
- Take rest when needed!
Hikes are supposed to relax you, so when you get tired, take a break or fuel up on snacks and water and go on hiking or return home and make a point to go a little further next time!
- Share your Hike experience on Social Media
Share your hiking experience with friends and family on social media! Share your pictures/videos from the hike, or write a short blog! Share on social media using hashtags #NationalTakeAHikeDay and #TakeAHikeDay.
Interesting Facts About National Take A Hike Day:
Here are some interesting facts surrounding the National Take A Hike Day!
- Walking is also called hiking. It could be a few hundred feet or hundreds of miles
- The National Trails System consists of over 60,000 miles of trails
- 34 million hikers hit the trails as per 2013 records
- Research shows that Hiking increases dopamine, the hormone that results in happiness
- The National sport of Switzerland is Hiking!
- Hiking is found to improve your mood and thereby promote mental wellbeing
- Hikers have reduced risks of succumbing to heart diseases, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels
- If you are feeling stressed, hiking is one of the best ways to beat it!
- Hiking is great for muscle coordination and flexibility!
- You could reduce body fats, improve bone density, and maintain a healthy weight with Hiking!
- Hiking enhances relationship bonds and improves your quality of life
- A perfect option to have fun and stay fit!
History Of National Take A Hike Day:
The founder and the origin of National Take A Hike Day remain unknown to our research. It is observed as a fun holiday in the US to motivate people to enjoy nature and bond with people outdoors!