National Walnut Day
National Walnut Day:
Celebrated on May 17th, every year. The Day is being observed to promote the health benefits of the Walnut, a round, single-seeded nut from any tree that belongs to the Walnut family botanically named Juglandaceae.
|2018||17th May||Thursday||United States|
|2019||17th May||Friday||United States|
|2020||17th May||Sunday||United States|
Why Walnut Day?
The National Walnut Day is being observed to promote the health benefits of the Walnut. a round, single-seeded nut from any tree that belongs to the Walnut family botanically named Juglandaceae. It is rich in protein and essential fatty acids. Walnuts comprise about 15 % of protein, 14% of carbohydrates, 65% of fats, 4% of Water and 7% of Fiber. Every 100 grams of walnut consisted of 654 calories.
As claimed by the Food and Drug Administration in the year 2016, Consumption of 1.5 ounces of Walnuts per day may reduce cardiovascular diseases. However, the results are not yet proved and only termed as a non-conclusive result. Thus, this day is being observed to create awareness regarding the health qualities of Walnut.
How we can Celebrate or Observe National Walnut Day:
Celebrate this day with a handful of Walnuts. Explore more about the benefits of Walnut and use this hashtag #WalnutBenefits to post on social media. Post your picture holding walnuts to promote its health benefits. Walnuts are good for children and pregnant Ladies since it stimulates brain development. Therefore, make sure that your children have walnuts on a daily basis.
Interesting Facts About Walnut Day:
- Walnut consumption is good for the Heart. The amino acid I-arginine present in the walnut provides several benefits to the heart along with the Omega -3 fat alpha-linolenic acid that further prevents blood clots. Perhaps, consumption of walnuts results in an increase in blood level and keeps the cholesterol in stable eventually resulting in a decrease of heart-related issues.
- Consumption of walnut limits, breast and prostate cancer. Numerous experiments were manipulated on mice and studies had revealed that walnut limits breast cancer and slows tumor cell growth.
- The antioxidant present in the walnut prevents liver damage which is normally due to the chemical induction in food. Moreover, it promotes liver growth and controls body weight, a study reveals.
- Consumption of Walnuts enhances the reproduction in Men. It increases the quality of the sperm and its motility.
- Walnuts have not been recommended for people affected by Herpes Simplex virus since the arginine present in the walnuts would further diminish the quantity of amino acid, which may induce herpes severity and recurrence.
- The United States ranks first in both Walnut production and export with over 99 percent of the cultivation are from California valleys. Food and Drug Administration of the United States once warned a company, Diamond Foods in 2010 for their statement regarding the walnut benefits. Diamond Foods had stated, “Walnut reduces Coronary heart disease”. The same was disagreed with the FDA stating that no sufficient evidence pertaining to the statement had provided or proved.
- Nonetheless, in the year 2016, it termed walnut as a Qualified Health Product that reduces coronary artery disease even though no study has ever revealed such occurrence.
History of Walnut Day:
The National Walnut day was created in 1949 by the Walnut Marketing Board, an Organization formed in the year 1933 as the Walnut Control Board authorized by the Agricultural Adjustment Act. It involves in Crop Assessment and Surplus determination. Thus, the Walnut day had been declared as a public holiday in the year 1958 after the proclamation of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the then President.