Celebrated annually on the 27th of October the Navy Day celebrates the military personnel who served and are serving in the Navy faction of the United States.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on October 27th:
Why Navy Day?
In terms of technological strength, airpower, nuclear power, and battle fleet tonnage along with other factors, the US Navy continues to lead from the front as the most powerful navy across the world. The Navy has been growing in its power and role ever since the revolutionary war and currently has nearly 40 naval bases. And with the Navy becoming vital stations for the airplane as well it has become an important part of the nation’s defense structure.
The Day is a celebration of the navy personnel who have been serving in the navy currently and in the past and a recognition of the services rendered by them. The day was initiated in appreciation of the heritage of the world’s most powerful navy and to leave a sense of pride and positivity in the naval service itself. The biggest celebration of the Navy Day was in the year 1945 when the fleets returned after the Second World War.
How can we celebrate Navy Day?
The importance of the Navy cannot be undermined in safeguarding the United States from all enemies on the sea and being the most powerful of the navies in the world, the day is all the more special to celebrate.
And if you are wondering how to observe the day, then these tips might help you.
- You can visit a naval museum in your state and find more information about the history of the Navy and how it has shaped the defense structure of the country.
- You can learn about the training involved in the navy and how the navy operates to improve your knowledge about navy on the Navy Day.
- There are different types of fleets in the Navy and you can use this day to learn more about them and how each fleet offers its assistance at the time of crisis. It is not just about the navy that you can know about on this day, you can also use this day to experience sailing on the seas to understand how it is for the Navy seals.
- During the days before the Navy Day, also part of the Navy Week, there are many events conducted which you can be part of. This includes competitions like open sea swimming, which anyone can participate in.
- You can also visit ships on the day which is open to the public and children and enjoy watching through the operations of the ship in person.
- There are also events held by the Navy separately including fun runs for the families of the Navy officers which brings them together in a merry event. This would be a fun event to be part of.
- On the day, you can create awareness about the history of the Navy and how they have contributed to the country’s safety on your online accounts using #NavyDay.
- You can conduct competitions for children who can draw or speak about what they think of the Navy and post the same online, rewarding them as well while also letting the world know about the same.
- Schools can organize educational trips for children to help them know more about the Navy and the life of a sailor.
Interesting facts about Navy Day:
On the occasion of the day let us learn some interesting facts about the Navy in the US and how the Navy day come into existence, and more.
- US Navy is counted as the leading and most powerful the Navy in the world.
- The World’s largest the naval station is located in Norfolk of the state of Virginia in the United States.
- There are two Navy birthdays celebrated in the US apart from the Armed Forces day which celebrates the Navy as well. The US Navy was initially established as a continental Navy and it was formed in 1775 on the 13th of October. And yet Navy Day is celebrated on the 27th of October as established by the Navy League in recognition of the birthday of former US President Theodore Roosevelt.
- Navy League is not a government organization but rather a civilian organization in the United States.
- Navy Day is not just celebrated in the United States. It is a celebration observed by many countries, but on different dates and celebrate it in different traditions.
- There is no official celebration on the Navy Day of the US as the Armed Forces Day celebrates the Navy along with other forces protecting the nation in equal vigor.
- It was in 1949 when the Armed Forces Day replaced the separate observation of the Navy Day and the same is celebrated with fervor.
- Initially, the day was to be a celebration within the naval forces, their families, and dependents. While it continues to be a Navy-wide celebration, the entire country also participates to show their appreciation of the Navy contribution to the country.
- There is an event held in Philadelphia named the Navy Day Regatta which is a celebration of the Navy Day and is one of the many events conducted across the country on the Navy Day.
- The reason for celebrating the birthday of Theodore Roosevelt as Navy Day is because he was an avid promoter of the power on the sea. Also before becoming the president Theodore Roosevelt an assistant Secretary of the Navy.
- When the day was officially celebrated in 1923, there was mixed reception for the celebration and yet nearly 50+ cities took part in the celebration across the country. The US Navy even sent out ships to various destinations as part of the occasion. This tradition of sending ships to all parts of the country continued until 1949.
- The most celebrated Navy Day was in the year 1945 when the then US President Harry Truman gathered a huge welcome party for the Navy fleet returning from World War II in New York.
- 27th October also happens to be the birth date of the famous sailor Captain James Cook, who was the first European to travel to Australia.
History of Navy Day:
The history of Navy Day goes back by nearly a century. The first of the day was observed in the year 1922 when the Navy League of US established it on the 27th of October, the date of birth of President Theodore Roosevelt. Even though the Navy participates in the Armed forces Day in the month of May, the Navy League continues to celebrate and observe the day every year on the 27th of October. While the birth of the Continental Navy was found to be on the 13th of October, in the year 1775, and there have been efforts to commemorate that date as Navy Day, the country continues to recognize the date 27th October as the Navy Day and celebrations are afoot on this day every year.
The reason why the day is celebrated on October 27th is because of the fact that the former US President Theodore Roosevelt has been an ardent supporter of the Navy and its operations. Being a former assistant secretary of the Navy, he has supported the sea power during his reign, and hence his birthday was declared as the Navy Day by the Navy League.