National Absurdity Day
Celebrated annually on November 20th, the National Absurdity Day is dedicated to recalling absurd things in our lives, in our country and history! so this fun holiday is perfect to show your crazy, fun, and absurd side to family and friends.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on November 20th:
Why National Absurdity Day?
It’s absurd to be celebrating absurdity day. However, that’s the whole point – to celebrate absurdity!
Have you ever watched a clown and wondered why someone was dressed that terrific yet funny? or looking at all the art displayed in the museums and wondered why they were absurd?
Absurdity has been a subject of interest and study ever since the ancient Greek period.
The term “absurdity” is derived from the Latin word “absurdum” meaning, out of tune or irrational.
Absurdism tends to portray that there may be a certain meaning to life, but humans may not be able to perceive it completely, making it absurd to try to build meaning Or the idea of finding absurd meaning through things that happen to us.
The concept of absurdism emerged mostly after World War II, as people were dealing with the brutality of Nazi concentration camps and threats of Nuclear wars.
The idea of absurd gained popularity when artists Samuel Beckett and Jean Genet included the idea of absurd in Theatre.
People began to accept absurdity to be part of their lives and absurdity is being used in literature, theatre, and film to point human behavior.
So, whether you want to look back to all your absurdities or look at absurdities in history, the day is all yours! if you are not a fan of the past, you can enjoy dressing up absurd and comment on absurd philosophies, write absurd poetry, play absurd games, and make absurd speeches! Enjoy the day by being absurd to show your funny side. However, the day doesn’t promote breaking the law or hurting other individuals. So take caution, as you celebrate National Absurdity Day accepting the world’s absurdity and yours too!
How Can We Observe National Absurdity Day?
- Walk, Talk, And Dress Absurdly!
The National Absurdity Day is a perfect excuse to confuse people with your absurdity! enjoy the day by being absurd with your walk, talk, and costume all day!
- Confuse people with some harmless absurd pranks!
If you had been thinking of fun and absurd pranks to throw, use them today! If you need more absurd ideas you can always look up the internet!
- Read works of absurdist playwrights and authors
if you love reading, read absurdist works such as Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland by Lewis Carol, Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
- Watch absurdist movies!
watch some fun absurdist movies with family and friends. you could watch El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowsky, Zelig by Woody Allen, Life of Brian by Terry Jones and The Exterminating Angel by Luis Bunuel among others
- Create some absurd memes!
Show you pun side by creating hilarious memes on various situations! use hashtags #NationalAbsurdityDay and #Absurdity Day to post on social media and remind everyone its the time to be absurd!
Interesting Facts About National Absurdity Day:
Here are a few fun absurd facts to add more fun to your Absurdity Day!
- You could reach outer space in an hour if your car could drive upwards!
- Gary Kremen, who founded Match.com lost his girlfriend to someone else she met on Match.com!
- You could walk to North Korea from Finland just by crossing Russia!
- 14 squirrels were arrested as suspects of espionage in Iran
- Until the 1950s, Cigarettes were advertised as healthy products!
- Many people die every year due to vending machines than by sharks!
- An ostrich brain is smaller than its eyeball!
- Jupiter gets diamond rain!
- A snake born with two heads will have two brains and will fight over their food!
- Whales are incredible species and when they fart they create bubbles so large that a horse can fit into it!
- Australia exports camels to Saudi Arabia
- The can openers came 48 years after the cans!
- Fruit loops don’t have actual fruits and they all have the same flavor!
History Of National Absurdity Day
Our research did not find any details on the creator and the origin of National Absurdity Day. We found no presidential claims declaring it as a National Holiday, thus it is celebrated as a fun, unofficial holiday since absurd times for absurd reasons!