National Puppy Day:
Celebrating the love and affection of the cute little puppies in our lives, the National Puppy Day is celebrated usually on the 23rd of March every year.
|2023||23rd March||Thursday||United States|
|2024||23rd March||Saturday||United States|
|2025||23rd March||Sunday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on March 23rd:
Why National Puppy Day?
Puppies are among the few things that can evoke an emotionally pleased response from anyone. No matter whether you own a dog or not, when you look at a puppy, you tend to feel that it is very cute. It is probably also the reason why these are termed to be the closest friend of humans. Dogs are referred to as the beings that look out for the fellow humans and the puppies are just the right time to build on a bonding. It is therefore natural to celebrate the puppies and the affection they shower on us on a special day, celebrated as the National Puppy Day.
The Puppy Day is not just a celebration of the joy puppies bring into our worlds but it is also a day to bring awareness about these cute beings and how you can take care of them. Puppies as they grow tend to take care of the humans who give them shelter and therefore it is our duty to show them the same love and care on this special day. However, do not restrict your affection to only this day but rather you can have this as a starting point to celebrate the puppies all through your life.
How can We Celebrate National Puppy Day?
If you are looking for a loyal companion that you can place your trust for life, then dogs make the best companion. And if you know them from the time they were puppies, you will have a bonding for life that you can rely upon. Puppies are not just cute but they can also make the best company when you are feeling down. They can lift up your mood in no time. On the day, you have to do your best to celebrate their presence in your life and here we have some tips to help you with the celebration.
- Throwing a party for your little puppy is definitely a way to go about it. This will be even more fun if you have friends who have their own puppies. You can gather them all and let the puppies have a fun time with all their furry friends. It will make way for an amazing bonding between the puppies and will also make yours feel at home. With cakes, balloons, and all the food that they love you have the best time guaranteed for the little puppies for sure. Of course, you can post all the party pictures online with the #NationalPuppyDay which will also bring in awareness.
- Getting pictures or arranging for a photoshoot is another way to make the day memorable for both your puppies and to yourself. You can either hire a professional photographer or a friend or do it yourself. Throw in some cute backdrops and interesting props into the mix and you have the best day for your puppies and yourself. The entire day will fly by in no time and you are guaranteed to have the best time of your life for sure, of course with your dear puppies. The photos either in albums or on your mantle will be a cherished memory forever.
- Now if you don’t already have a puppy or a dog or you want to have another puppy then this is a good day to start doing so. You can make this day more remarkable by adopting a puppy of your own. Your local shelter will definitely have a puppy that is sure to steal your heart. Adopt a puppy today and provide shelter and create a relationship that will last for years to come.
- If you are not looking to adopt a puppy then you can still contribute to the puppies around with the volunteering services at your local shelter. You can volunteer and enjoy spending time with these cute puppies. If you already have one, you can take it along to have some fun time with the puppies in the shelter. Spread the love for puppies this Puppy Day by volunteering at the local shelter.
- And as you volunteer, you can also choose to make a donation to the local shelter for the puppies. Or you can choose to donate to the ASPCA (American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). This way you would be keeping the puppies from different places also safer. On this Puppy Day, you can choose to ensure a safer environment for all the puppies in the country along with the safety of yours.
- It is the time to pamper them and treat them. If you do that every day, you can still do it more on this day designated for them. You can also use the day to get them a favorite toy to play with. There are many different cooler products that you can buy for your puppies. It is also the day when you can make their favorite treats at home and let them have a feast of it.
- While the contribution to ASPCA will keep pets safe all through the country, spending money for the safety of your pets will ensure that they are safe no matter where they are. A GPS tracker onto their collars is one of the best ways to know where your pets are and track them from your mobile phone. You will also feel better knowing that your pets are safe.
- And you can also make it a day for your puppies to learn something new, like a new trick or something. This would also keep them engaged and help them evolve into a better companion. You can take a walk with your puppy on this day, showing them around to the world and the world to them. Spending time with them will keep you relaxed while keeping them happy too.
And there are many other ways to make the National Puppy Day a memorable occasion of celebration. And remember to post photos of your day with puppies on social media with the tag of #NationalPuppyDay to spread awareness about puppies in general.
Interesting Facts about National Puppy Day:
Known to be the best friend of man, you can probably never find another animal as fiercely loyal as them. And the puppies are just the cutest of the babies to look at and play with. They are equally affectionate and keep you always feeling loved any time of the day. The bonding you will share with your puppies grows with years and never fades.
On the National Puppy Day, where we celebrate the tender puppies and how they share their love with us, it is time to shower them with lots of love and care. And it is also the day to know more about puppies. Here are some interesting facts that you would want to know about puppies and dogs in general.
- When they are born, the puppies are both blind and deaf. It takes two weeks for them to even open their eyes. Their sense of smell is what helps them to detect the presence of their moms until then.
- Like human babies which spend about 16 hours a day sleeping, the puppies also spend about 15 to 20 hours sleeping.
- It takes only a year for the puppies to become adults, which can be equaled to 15 years in the human age. Basically, they are in their teens and if you think the puppies are cute, then you would be surprised with the cuteness of the teen dogs in a year.
- Like us, even the puppies love it when you sweet talk to them. They love it when you are singing to them, cuddling them, and speaking to them.
- The teeth of puppies don’t grow until they are of four weeks. So you don’t have to worry about the puppies chewing anything in your house until then.
- The number of puppies born at one time varies as per the breed. The young and large dogs generally have more litters than the smaller and older ones. The record for the highest number of breeds belongs to a Mastiff breed dog by name of Tia with a number of 24 puppies.
- No matter the number of puppies at birth, there could also be twins in the same litter. This was found by a scientist from South Africa who tested out their DNAs to find the same.
- When they are born, they are not capable of pooping by themselves. In fact, they need their mother’s help to do it initially. And when they poop, they find a place in alignment with the magnetic field of Earth itself.
- Research by Japanese scientists indicates that you can focus more when you look at the photos of these cute puppies.
- Puppies as they grow also develop a sense of time that they can differentiate between a few minutes and hours. In fact, if you practice with them, they can even alert you to your daily routine like walks and sleep time.
- Puppies can be quite possessive and easily get jealous when you share their affection with another being. But they are absolutely loyal to you until the end.
- The breed of Dachshunds was initially bred for the purpose of fighting the troublesome badgers.
- You would be surprised to know that the Russian stray dogs can even surf through a subway system and get to the right station to get food.
- Dogs have a very strong sense of smell and they can even smell feelings. They pick up the change in your feelings like fear through your level of perspiration. The constant wet noses help them to absorb the chemicals related to scent with ease.
- Dogs can easily smell when you are ill. In fact, studies show that dogs can easily smell out those who have cancer through their breath.
- The coating of the Newfoundlands breed of dogs is resistant to water. With the webbed feet, they make the greatest lifeguards.
- The famous spots on the Dalmatians do not appear until the puppies grow older.
- There are studies that show our health improves, both physically and mentally when we pet puppies. The simple gesture will not only show the little puppy how much you love it and also help in lowering your blood pressure, depression, loneliness, and stress levels.
- There were three dogs that survived from Titanic when it sank in 1912.
- Mayor Max and Mayor Max II, the mayors of Idyllwild town in California are both golden retrievers.
- ASPCA is the largest of the humane societies in the world and also the first to be founded in North America.
- The reason why dogs pant is to cool up their bodies and that is also why you would never see the dogs sweating either.
- Never feed your dogs with chocolate as it could prove deadly to them with the presence of theobromine, which their digestive system cannot handle.
History of National Puppy Day:
It was in the year 2006 when the National Puppy Day was established for the first time and it was by Colleen Paige, an Animal Behaviorist, author, and Pet Lifestyle expert. Colleen Paige also happens to be the founder of National Cat Day and the National Dog Day. Obviously, the day is celebrated as a way to bring notice to those adorable puppies that shower us with warmth and affection any day. While the day of celebration is on March 23rd, if the date falls over a weekend, the celebration is held on a weekday, either a Friday or a Monday. No matter the date or day it is celebrated, it is a reminder that we need to shower love over the little puppies who have always been there for us. Use the Puppy Day as a way to spread awareness on how the little puppies can lift up our lives.