National Alabama Day:
Celebrated on December 14th every year. The day is to recognize one of our outstanding state, Alabama.
|2018||14th December||Friday||United States|
|2019||14th December||Saturday||United States|
|2020||14th December||Monday||United States|
Why Alabama Day?
The day is to recognize one of our outstanding states, Alabama. Being the southern east state of the United states,It is bordered by some majestic cities like Tennessee,Georgia, Florida, Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi.
Alabama has nicknames as Yellowhammer State,Heart of Dixie ,Cotton State that denotes its richness.In addition, Alabama is well known for its downtime atmosphere,food cuisine, agriculture and notable historical events like Montgomery bus boycott which paved the way for the birth of civil rights movement.
How we can Celebrate National Alabama Day:
Explore more about the history,art ,hidden cultures,vacation destination, festivals, people, hidden treasures, flora and fauna, Lifestyle, nature of Alabama state and share using the hashtag #AlabamaDay on the social media.
Visit Alabama on this day and enjoy its rich heritage.
And For your information,i listed the top few places in Alabama.do consider these any as an option.
Alabama River, Orange beach, Little river canyon, Noccalula Falls Park, Dauphin Island, Cheaha Mountain, Gulf shores, Mobile Bay.
Interesting Facts About Alabama Day:
- Alabama ranks 30 out of 50 states in terms of land area and the 24th-most populous state of the United States. It includes a shore line of about 2,400 km.
- The official and highly spoken language is English. Other than English, Spanish is a notable language spoken by the Alabamians.
- Alabama is highly prone to Hurricanes.
- The economy of Alabama highly relies on healthcare, automotive industries, education, retail, technology and mineral extraction.
- The capital of Alabama is Montgomery and the largest city is Birmingham that is named after the Birmingham of the United Kingdom.
- Initially before the formation of Alabama state, the land was a part of West florida.After the victory of the United States in the American revolutionary war,the territory was shared between the United States and Spain.Later,in the year 1813,Spain surrendered the territory to the United States. Afterwards,half of the portions were separated and formed as Alabama territory by the year 1817 and st.Stephens was the first capital of the Alabama territory.
- Later,by the year 1819,It became the 22nd state to join the American Union.until 1820,Huntsville was the temporary capital of the state.
- The state is embedded in the American civil war history.its contribution was remarkable with 120000 soldiers representing the state.
- The incident ” Montgomery bus boycott” is the first freedom movement against racial discrimination. In the year 1955, there were a separate sections of seat as “colored section ” and ” whites-only ” for black and white people respectively. While Rosa parks was travelling, she was ordered by the bus driver to give her seat for a white in the colored section since all the seats of white-only section are filled. she immediately refused and was later arrested on charges of civil disobedience. After her arrest,she has become a prominent figure and many people followed her and boycotted buses for almost a year. Later,she collaborated with many national leaders for civil rights movements and hence Montgomery became the birthplace for civil rights freedom.
- The slogan of Alabama is ” Share The Wonder, Alabama the beautiful, Where America finds its voice, Sweet Home Alabama.”
History of Alabama Day:
The Alabama Legislature enforced a resolution to adopt a day for the observance, by the year 1923 after considering the demands of the Alabama Department of Education and Alabama Department of Archives and History.
The date December 14 was unanimously recommended since on the same day, Alabama joined the American union in 1819.Therefore December 14 is recognized as National Alabama day and celebrated on an annual basis.