National Clean out your Refrigerator Day:
Celebrated on November 15th every year. The day is celebrated to remind us of the need to clean out our refrigerators at home which have become a part and parcel of our household.
|2019||November 15th||Friday||United States|
|2020||November 15th||Sunday||United States|
|2021||November 15th||Monday||United States|
Why National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day?
The day is celebrated to remind us of the need to clean out our refrigerators at home which have become a part and parcel of our household. Due to the growing need to store food for longer periods, refrigerators have become a basic necessity in every American Household. But it is the most neglected one and is completely cluttered. Celebrating National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day would help us to spend time to completely scrub the refrigerator and realize the importance of keeping it clean.
How to celebrate National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day?
- Post the importance of cleaning and organizing our refrigerators on social media using hashtag #
- Allot an hour or two clean your refrigerator on this day. Follow the below steps in cleaning and organizing your refrigerator. Take care to clean the refrigerator and freezer part one at a time as we need to preserve food safely. Before starting to clean, be prepared with a bucket of hot soapy water, scrubber, towel.
– Firstly take out everything out of the refrigerator and place it on the kitchen countertop.
– Dismantle shelves and drawers and clean them with dishwashing liquid and let them air dry.
– Now give a good clean on the inside walls of the refrigerator with hot soapy water. Wipe it with a clean towel.
– Similarly clean the inside door. Don’t forget to clean the seals around the edges of the refrigerator door as these places are provided home to dust, fungus and bacteria.
– Now start checking the containers taken out from the refrigerator. Check the expiry dates and throw away the expired ones in thrash. Check the leftovers and throw away the old ones. Label the leftover containers with an approximate date and please try to follow this labeling job every day when you place any leftover in the refrigerator.
– Wipe the containers with a clean towel to remove any spills and now arrange them in the refrigerator.
– Now coming to the organizing part, store extra stocks in the interior part of the refrigerator and the seal opened jars in the front side which enables easy handling.
– After the refrigerator part is clean, repeat the same procedure for the freezer part. But do remember to keep the frozen foods in the refrigerator while you clean the freezer.
– Clean all the outer part of the refrigerator with glass cleaning sprays. Now you can admire your refrigerator as it would look brand new!!!
- Now you would have realized how much food you have been wasting and storing it for longer periods and making the refrigerator a place for microorganisms. Its time to take some resolution on this National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day to clean your refrigerator at least once in three months and treat it with much care because it is place to store your food and not a place to grow fungus and bacteria.
Interesting facts on National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day:
*Americans have the biggest refrigerators in the world with an average volume of 17.5 cubic feet.
*Americans always had a desire for cold foods and so in the early 19th century, businessman cut ice from likes and sold it in warmer regions.
*Later ice industry was started and ice which was a luxury item became a necessity for the majority of Americans.
*During the early 20th-century‘ icebox’ was used in household to preserve food.
*The present-day refrigerators were designed and are in use since the 1950’s.
*Rapid growth in population in urban areas has made Americans depend on refrigerators as they reside far away from farms and need to store their veggies, fruits, eggs, milk, etc.
History of National Clean out Your Refrigerator Day:
The origin of this day is unknown.