National Cut Your Energy Cost Day
National Cut Your Energy Cost Day:
Celebrated annually on January 10th the National Cut Your Energy Cost Day is observed to promote an alternative way of life, to conserve energy, and thereby prevent the abuse of energy resources resulting in a low-cost living.
|2021||10th January||Sunday||United States|
|2022||10th January||Monday||United States|
|2023||10th January||Tuesday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on January 10th:
National Oysters Rockefeller Day
National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
Why National Cut Your Energy Cost Day?
After a long array of festivities of the holiday season, it is quite common to end up with considerable shrinkage of your purse and an electricity bill that might cost you an arm or leg. Well, if you are trying to figure out the culprits of this daylight robbery you should probably take a look at the mirror. Consumerism has been ingrained into our mentality and has infiltrated into every sphere of our lives. When it comes to many finite resources, this mindset poses a huge threat as we consume ignorantly what is available to us.
Akin to its scientific definition, energy is transformed from one form to another and is used to aid you in your daily tasks and enhance your comfort. Heating your favorite sandwich, traveling home to meet your loved ones, pulling an all-nighter before your exam is all made possible because of the energy resources that we have at our disposal. The common energy resources that we use range from simple firewood to sophisticated forms such as electricity, fossil fuels, atomic energy, etc.
While everyone should be concerned about the depletion of energy resources and its wastage, very few people work for it. The case for energy conservation may not be everyone’s cup of tea but the possibility of saving a few bucks is a universal language. The National Cut Your Energy Cost Day, is built tactfully on this common ground. Let it be exhaustible or in-exhaustible resources, your bank balance, as well as the environment, will certainly benefit from effective management and regulation.
When you get to the crux of the energy conservation affair- deterioration of resources and the environment, over the roof pricing and increasing demands appear to be crucial elements in the vicious cycle of consumerism. As the consumption increases, demands increase and so does the price. To break away from it you need to learn and unlearn many habits, better late than never! And the best place to start your energy and money-saving habits is your very home, with your family. A wide number of online resources can aid you in this life-changing experience.
Communal efforts and government policies can create a huge impact on how we consume energy. Non-profit organizations like the CEEA (Canadian Energy Efficiency Alliance) have collaborated with builders, manufacturers, etc in Canada to promote efficient energy consumption. This day is an important addition to the list of our annual observances not just because you can save up for your long-awaited holiday trip but rather it is a stepping stone for the betterment of the community, economy, environment for generations to come.
How Can We Observe National Cut Your Energy Cost Day?
- A Home Tour For Energy Efficiency
- Many old and outdated appliances such as dishwashers, refrigerators, etc could be the electricity-stealing bill soaring culprits at your home. Check the manual of the appliances and compare with the updated versions available and replace them with energy star certified appliances if required.
- A programmable thermostat is a great addition to your home and checking on your home insulation can also save you a huge chunk of heating bills.
- Get professional help or check out sites like Home Energy Yardstick to assess energy consumption at your home.
- Riders On The Energy Efficiency Norm
Substitute your travel on personal vehicles with public transportation, walk, or bike rides.
- ShareThe Gospel Of Energy Efficiency
Share your tips and tricks of energy conservation on social media using #NationalCutYourEnergyCostDay and #CutYourEnergyCostDay
Interesting Facts About National Cut Your Energy Cost Day:
Few Facts Related to National Cut Your Energy Cost Day
- In 2019 a bill was signed by the New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham that implores the state to derive 100% of its electricity requirements from in-exhaustible sources by 2050.
- All homes are required to be powered by solar energy by 2020 according to the policy passed in California
- America inaugurated its first power plant In 1958. The first nuclear plant was opened in Russia in 1954
- In the 1880s electricity was first made available to few homes in Manhattan resulting in terms like “Come around and see my light bulb”.
- Cooking with lids on can reduce up to 15% of energy consumption
History Of National Cut Your Energy Cost Day:
While the origin and the creator of this day remain unknown, some sources attribute the creation of this day to the Canadian Energy Efficiency Alliance, a non-profit non-government organization that was established in 1995 to promote energy efficiency and advocate for environmental safety.