National Guard Birthday:
December 13 marks the National Guard Birthday. The date marks the day when the National Guard was launched as a reserve sector of the United States Army.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on December 13th:
Why National Guard Birthday?
The National Guard is classified as a part of the United States army. This component is mainly made of citizen-soldiers who also take part in other activities besides serving in the National Guard. Some have full-time jobs and attend schools. However, they are also always available to provide security to civilians and at times, they can participate in national military operations. The purpose of the National Guard is to serve the nation and the community. By doing this, they are able to work efficiently to protect the freedom of Americans. The Army National Guard and the Air National Guard are found in all the US states. They are also found in the District of Columbia, US Virgin Islands, Guam territories, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
How can we celebrate the National Guard Birthday:
Some activities that you take part in as a way of celebrating this day include:
- Recognize people serving in the National Guard
If you know someone who serves in the National Guard, this day will present a perfect chance for you to recognize their efforts and appreciate them for the sacrifices that they make. You can send them a card and a small gift as a token of appreciation. You can also rally other people to send their gifts and in this way, the National Guard servicemen and women can see that the community appreciates their efforts towards maintaining peace and security.
- Organize an event
If you want to achieve more on this day, you can organize an event in your area where you can invite the National Guard so that they can interact with the community. Creating a good relationship between the National Guard and the people is very crucial because it makes sure that they can both support and help each other in maintaining domestic security. You can use a community hall to hold such events. You can also go out and organize a sporting tournament with the members of the National Guard for a more fun-filled day.
- Support the National Guard
The National Guard usually provides financial support to various charitable organizations. One of the things you can do on this day is to go to the National Guard website (NGAUS.org) and look for the charitable causes to which you can contribute. For example, the National Guard Education Foundation is a charity that helps in ensuring that education, as a basic need, can be accessed by all children across the United States. You can choose to hold a charity event on this day to raise more money that will be added to such foundations.
- Post on Social media
If you have celebrated this day, you can make sure that the whole world knows by showing your contributions on social media. Take a picture with a member of the National Guard and post it on your social media platform with words that show appreciation for their relentless efforts in making sure society is safe. Using the hashtag #NationalGuardBirthday will create more awareness for this day and encourage more people to observe it.
Interesting facts about National Guard Birthday:
Some of the most interesting facts to note about the National Guard include:
- Two US presidents have served under the National Guard. President Harry Truman and President George W. Bush were once members of the Army National Guard.
- Notable celebrities have also served under the National Guard. These celebrities include John Amos, Tom Selleck, James Garner, and Bob Crane.
- Marquis de Lafayette popularized the term ‘National Guard’. At the time, the word has used as a reference to a militia for each state. However, it became an official name for the sector in 1916.
- The National Guard is a state militia, which means that each National Guard can only serve in its own state. However, the only federal National Guard in the country is the one in Washington D.C, which serves under the command of the president.
- National Guard servicemen and women have been instrumental in serving in every war in the country since its creation.
- The National Guard is the second biggest militia in the United States after the US Army.
History of National Guard Birthday:
The Army National Guard was launched in 1636. It is a unit of the United States Army that would include a number of elite warriors who would dedicate some of their time to serving their country. Every state in the country has its own National Guard, and this is a requirement by the US constitution. The first National Guard that was created in 1636 included three militia components that would defend the Massachusetts Bar Colony against the Pequot Indians. Currently, the National Guard is carrying on with the mandate of providing defense to every state.