National Kindergarten Day:
Honoring Friedrich Wilhelm August Frobel, the founder of Kindergarten, the National Kindergarten Day is celebrated on the 21st of April every year.
Why National Kindergarten Day?
Children learn from a very young age and it is highly important to have the best environment which will enrich their existing skills, honing their talents, and bring out their full potential. Kindergarten is designed to help kids realize their potential to the fullest and to groom their talents in a comfortable environment. The founding of Kindergarten is definitely a day worth to be remembered as it fosters skill and intelligence in children and it is important to honor August Frobel who founded Kindergarten. This is why we have National Kindergarten Day celebrated on the birthday of the founder of Kindergarten, emphasizing on the importance of kindergarten in enriching the life of children.
How can we celebrate National Kindergarten Day?
If you are looking to celebrate National Kindergarten Day and you are looking for some tips, then here are a few pointers to help you.
- You can pay a visit to your kindergarten teacher, if you can, and show them your gratitude for their help in your development. On the other hand, if you have kids then you can visit their kindergarten teachers and appreciate them for their hand in improving the lives of your children.
- You can research and find out more about elementary and kindergarten education. You can help your kids understand on the role of kindergarten and how it helps shaping their future.
- You can organize an artistic event for the kids, where they can express their interpretation of kindergarten with colors. You can also hold a discussion where they can speak about their own kindergarten experiences.
- You can visit the nearest kindergarten in your locality and recognize the kindergarten teachers for their contribution.
- If you love teaching, then you can even look for a career as a kindergarten teacher.
- You can of course learn more about August Frobel, the founder of kindergarten, and how the kindergarten has evolved over years in many different countries.
- You can also learn about the various methods used for teaching in kindergarten across states and countries and how it helps children to explore their abilities.
You can share your experiences of celebrating the day and your views on the kindergarten teachers online on your social media. Remember to use the hashtag #NationalKindergartenDay on your posts.
Interesting facts about National Kindergarten Day:
While the first kindergarten was opened in 1837, it was not appreciated much during the initial days. However, the idea did get adapted over time and here we bring to you some interesting facts about Kindergarten in general and its evolution over years.
- The first Kindergarten in the United States was opened in the year 1856 in Wisconsin’s Watertown. This was founded by a German teacher Margarethe Schurz. It was a German class kindergarten. The first of English-based kindergarten was founded by Elizabeth Peabody in the year 1860.
- The government of Prussia initially banned the idea of kindergarten as it was considered by them to be unorthodox. And yet the idea spread far and wide to Europe and America.
- It was only in the year 1873 when Kindergarten was first adapted into the public schooling system.
- Nearly a 3.5 million students enroll in Kindergarten every year according to statistics across the different states of the US.
- Kindergarten literally translates to “Garden for the kids” where the approach to education borders on practical activities and play learning methods.
- The age when the kids enroll in kindergarten varies between countries. For instance, in Malaysia, the children are in Kindergarten until six after which they are moved to primary when they turn seven. In Australia, kindergarten is the first year for the kids in school.
- Mississippi was the last of the states to introduce the kindergarten systems and it happened in the year 1982.
History of National Kindergarten Day:
There is no specific information on who and how the National Kindergarten Day came into being. However, we do know that the day was in honor of the founder of Kindergarten, Friedrich Wilhelm August Frobel, who was born on April 21st in 1782. While we do not have the history of this Day, we do know that the Kindergarten itself was first started in 1837 in Germany, by Frobel who was a German teacher in whose honor, we continue to celebrate this day.