Social Media Day
National Social Media Day:
Celebrated on June 30th every year. The day is to honor the existence and influence of Social Media in our day today life
|2023||30th June||Wednesday||United States|
|2024||30th June||Friday||United States|
|2025||30th June||Saturday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on June 30th:
Why Social Media Day?
The Social Media Day is to honor the existence and influence of Social Media in our day today life. Almost everybody uses social media at some way. Life would be harder without it and all of us have social accounts and now we are connected digitally by means of online communities.
The role of media is irreplaceable in the modern life. It steals the considerable quantity of our time. The emergence of mobile is an added advantage. This day is to acknowledge the positive impacts acclaimed by the social Communities.
How we can Celebrate or Observe Social Media Day:
Events are organized by Mashable to celebrate the Social Media Day. Mark your presence in the events and post it using the hashtag #SocialMediaDay on Twitter.
Post the advantages of Social Media in global communication. Within my research, i have listed. I might have missed some of the concepts which are very useful for the Internet users. Use this hashtag #SocialmediaAdvantages to share your explorations. Social media acts as a connector between several cultures and movements.
There are so many incidents accelerated due to the influence of Social Media in the United States. Share any interesting historical events using this hashtag #influencesocialMedia.
As far as Social network is concerned, both pros and cons are equally blended. We can find victims of cyber bullying and privacy related incident. Share those incidents if any using this hashtag #Metoo since that would be a caution to rest of the Internet users. Share any privacy tips to handle any sorts of cyber issues so that others could be benefited.
Finally, we all ought to know that relationship becomes tougher because of Social networks. We hardly spend time with relatives since our conversation is done through texting and chatting. Therefore, try to spend time with your relatives as much as possible you can.
Interesting Facts About Social Media Day:
- Due to the emergence of Social Media, people spend long time and the mobile provokes us to be further, compared to laptops and desktops. Mobile is invincible.
- A survey has estimated that 71 percent of the Internet users use the mobile phones in the United States in terms of minutes spent. Indonesia ranks top with the highest of 90 percent.
- Generally, people share information to support a cause for what they stand, to share some valuable information, to share day today news and their opinion on the same, to share what they feel, the day today happenings, etc.
- Almost 60 percent of the people often get the news through Online globally whereas one in ten get news through Online in the United States. The teens are usually get updated by means of Social Media.50 percent of the teens gets news from the Social Media whereas only 20 percent of the older adults get news through Online and the remaining 80 percent people lie on the Television. Therefore, the impact of political campaigns through social communities has been potentially increased.
- Social networking websites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram have massive users. About 80 percent of the Internet users are on Facebook with roughly one in four American uses the Facebook account on a daily basis.
- The impact of Social Media is politics is magnificent. The political campaign reaches a maximum visibility with the help of Social network. Nowadays, politicians use this as a great platform to canvas about their parties, to proclaim their political statement and to promote themselves as well.
- In accordance with the commerce, the Social websites are kept under scrutiny. The product companies are keen on the Social networks to deduce what is on the people’s Mind about their product that helps for the further improvement eventually resulting in high revenue. At the same time, the results could be vice versa, a one line review could lead to the complete loss. We, customers, are very smart in this perspective. Searching for the concerned product reviews before buying it, has become a normal custom nowadays. Everything depends on the customer satisfaction.
- The term called “Slacktivism” has been popular because of the Social Media. slacktivism is supporting a political or social desires and endorsing it by signing a petition, and canvassing.
- Social Media has paved a way for easier job recruitment. A survey has founded that over 19 percent of the recruitment are via online. Interviews are being held through Skype or video chats nowadays. Number of job portals is available and the candidate can hire or apply for the job based upon the requirements. Further procedures are held accordingly in person or sometimes through Online itself.
- Online home based job advertisements through social media are elixir for the homemakers. No fixed work and time protocol by some companies are an added advantage. They cx1ould make some money at least for their own means with the help of these home based jobs. Freelance work is considerably increasing in recent years. Around 53 million people are working as freelancer in the United States as of 2014 which is equivalent to that of 30 percent of the U.S workforce.In 2005, only 10.3 million freelancers were self-employed and that marks a tremendous growth in the freelance industry.
- Another added advantage is the emergence of online educational centers. The courses are conducted online for various subjects and perhaps less expensive when compared to traditional class rooms.
- Meme acts as a great phenomenon. It conveys messages through pictorial representation. Normally, we prefer an image instead of an article. Meme does the job. A political cause could be conveyed in a single meme. Certain companies hire meme creators solely for purpose of creating memes, which are one of the marketing strategies to promote their products.
- Reciprocally, social media has its negative influence too. Lack of privacy and cyber bullying are serious concerns. Cyber bullying is otherwise called as online bullying and that become quite common through the social media. Anyone can harass any anonymous by means of online communities that could lead to severe depression, pressure, anxiety and even suicidal thoughts.
- Since the rate of victim has been certainly increased in the United States, several laws were enacted in the year 2010 to completely eradicate cyber bullying and trolling. Like cyber bullying, lack of privacy can lead to serious consequences. Our personal information may get leaked in the benefit of monetary exchanges to some companies and moreover, several social networks use third-party code to transfer information that paved the way for easy leaking. Despite several laws being implemented, the lack of privacy endures.
History of Social Media Day:
The day was founded in 2010 by Mashable, an Entertainment company founded in the year 2005 by Pete Cashmore. Mashable is pioneer in promoting the impact of Social communities on global communication. Moreover, it recognizes the best Social Network by awarding Web Awards on a yearly basis. Competitions are being carried out through Online where the users can cast their vote to nominate their preferred choice. The Mediums that has garnered more votes will be selected as the best Social communities. Mashable founded the Social Media Day in order to acknowledge the online communities that are as a part of our day today life.
As a part of spreading the necessity of Social Media, Mashable announces awards for all categories of communities that include videos, gadgets, games, message, social networks, blogs, websites, music sites, wiki category, search engines etc.
Facebook, Google, AngryBirds game, ESPN channel, iPad are few among the recipients of Mashable Awards.