National Armed Forces Day
National Armed Forces Day:
Paying tribute to the military men and their services to the country, the National Armed Forces Day is observed every year on the third Saturday in May.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on May:
Why National Armed Forces Day?
It takes a lot of courage and selflessness to join the armed forces and everyone who is part of the military family deserves our respect and recognition. The soldiers in all branches of the armed forces sacrifice their lives and more for the safety of the country and its citizens, every day. You can now join the nation in upholding and honoring these heroes who are at the forefront of our safety and support their acts of selflessness, sacrifice, and courage.
The day is not just about respecting armed forces but it is also a day to spread awareness to our community on the role of the military in our daily lives. It is a day to educate our society and also to learn more about the armed forces and their contribution to the country’s safety. The armed forces are not related to a particular branch of the military but it refers to the Navy, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Air force. It is a day to celebrate each of these branches and honor the true heroes who safeguard our country.
How can we observe National Armed Forces Day?
As a day meant for honoring the armed forces, there are many ways to show our appreciation and support to them and their families on this day.
- There are parades conducted on this day to honor the different branches of the armed forces in different parts of the country. You can go to one of them and show your support. These parades generally have celebratory shows, open houses, air shows, and much more to make it a fun event for everyone. Check the parade happening near you and make sure to be present for the entire event.
- The military of the US often set up public displays for educational purposes about the military. These showcases are not just eyeopeners but are loads of fun to browse through on this day. You can also get the opportunity to meet with the people in the military and speak to them in person on this day.
- Apart from the local parades, there are ceremonies held in military cemeteries or memorials. You can visit these ceremonies where you can listen to the buglers performing the song “taps”. This is played in honor of the soldiers who have fallen while safeguarding the country. Being part of these ceremonies is a way of showing your respect and honoring our heroes.
Remember to share your thoughts along with your ideas about observing this day online with #NationalArmedForcesDay on your post.
Interesting facts about National Armed Forces Day:
As we honor our national heroes and support them in their cause, here are some interesting fun facts that you may not generally know about military uniforms.
The branch of the armed forces, USMC, or the marine corps of the US have a very unique uniform. They didn’t want any of the other branches to use their uniform and hence had the letters USMC stitched onto theirs.
- The army troops changed their uniform color from green to blue to honor former US President George Washington and his first command troops. It is also to be noted that the dress colors of the army were initially chosen by George Washington himself.
- If you look at the Navy jumper, you will see that it has three white stripes on it. However, these stripes were not included for any particular reason. The men wearing these jumpers started using different white-colored stripes for decorating their collars and it became a permanent fixture in some time.
- If you notice the patch of the American flag on the military uniforms you will see that they are printed backward. This was done purposefully to create the illusion that the flag looks like it is flying in the breeze.
- The sailors wear bell-bottomed pants as it is easy for them to roll them up when they have to do chores that involve getting into the water.
- While the armed forces are generally spoken for the five branches of the military, it currently also encompasses a sixth branch, the Space Force.
- There were no five-star generals in the US army until the year 1944 post which has been awarded to only five generals so far. The rank was retired in the year 1981.
History of National Armed Forces Day:
The holiday was established by President Truman to bring the citizens together to pay tribute to the military personnel. It was first observed in the year 1949 with Louis Johnson, the US secretary of defense announcing it as a single day for celebrating all the five different branches of the military in the US. It is a day where we show our support to military personnel.