National Backward Day:
National Backward Day is officially celebrated on January 31 every year. As the name suggests, people celebrate this day by doing things backward, or you can say by unusually doing things. It is fun because we humans have a tendency to see things in a particular way; this day helps you change that.
|2022||31st January||Monday||United States|
|2023||31st January||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||31st January||Wednesday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on January 31st:
Why National Backward Day?
Two simple and easy-going women created the National Backward Day or Opposite Day, but the idea was so unique and different that it gained popularity very quickly. It is just another reason to have fun, but along with fun, it gives you a way to observe things in a new light.
This day allows us to break those already established norms and look at things differently. It can be as simple as putting your name backward on your nameplate or saying everyone’s name backward or as huge as saying everything is backward.
People come out light-hearted at the other end of the event than before, more cheerful and free-spirited. Many change their schedules and routines along with their point of view.
How Can we celebrate National Backward Day:
Well, when it comes to doing things backward, there is no shortage. It is like April fool’s Day; people will keep finding excuses to do things backward or the opposite way the whole day. It is sometimes difficult but also a lot of fun in your daily life. You can observe it by:
- Reciting a poem backward: It is not an easy task, but people do this very commonly to celebrate this day. Some even discover new words by doing this bizarre event, and most importantly, they have fun.
- Flip the greeting: This day is also about breaking norms, so you can do that by the most basic thing we do daily, greet people. Switch saying good night in the morning and good morning in the night or good afternoon in the evening and good afternoon in the evening. You can also change phrases of coming to going and going to coming, yes to no and no to yes.
- You can change your preferred meals or routines to something different and try new things.
- You can also wear clothes upside down or inside out, which is a lot more fun than a reverse poem.
- You can also take a drastic step of meeting people you haven’t met in ages because of some dispute or haven’t been friends with to give this day a deeper meaning.
- Do not forget to spread all your love on social media and make sure to add hashtags: #NationalBackwardDay #BackwardDay#BackwardLife #BottomsUp#UpsideDown #InsideOut #NewWay
Interesting facts About National Backward Day:
- Doing things backward is not new; many artists were well versed in this art and preferred to do this to engage the audience.
- One of the best examples would be Leonard Da Vinci. He uses to write in his paintings in a way that they could be read-only in the mirrors when put against it. He was left-handed, so maybe he got the idea from there, but he was also an enigma, so it could be just his style to do something extraordinary.
- Not just the localities but schools also follow the tradition and allow kids to wear uniforms inside out, shoes and socks of different leg on different ones.
- It has also gained popularity in the cartoon world, and many cartoons are seen wearing things on the opposite side because it is the Opposite Day.
History of National Backward Day:
The National Backward Day was made by two women named Sarah Nicole Miller and Megan Emily Scott. These two women were farmers, and they came up with the idea on their farm while working. They Initial thought to make it on 29th January 1961 and shared the rules with the locality. The word spread quickly to the huge population, and it piqued everyone’s interest. They shifted it to the 31st January from next year officially, and it has remained as it is since then.
It also helps people loosen the anxiety and stress built up in difficult times like we are experienced right now with Covid. This gives people reason to laugh without putting in much effort. If a little trick to wear different color socks on your feet, wearing girl clothing can lighten your family’s mood, make your parents smile genuinely, then why not.