National Bicarbonate of Soda Day:
Celebrated on December 30th every year. The day is celebrated to recognise and acknowledge the importance of Bicarbonate of Soda in our day to day life.
|2019||December 30th||Monday||United States|
|2020||December 30th||Wednesday||United States|
|2021||December 30th||Thursday||United States|
Why National Bicarbonate of Soda Day?
The day is celebrated to recognize and acknowledge the importance of Bicarbonate of Soda in our day to day life. Bicarbonate of soda is used by humans since 3500BC, before the Great Pyramid of Giza was built in Egypt. It is naturally available in mineral form called nahcolite. It is chemically prepared through the Solvay process which is a reaction of Sodium Chloride, Ammonia and Carbon dioxide in water. It is commonly known as Baking soda. It is a white, odorless crystalline solid with a salty and alkaline taste. It has various uses and benefits in human life.
How to celebrate National Bicarbonate of Soda Day?
Bicarbonate of soda has numerous uses and health benefits. So let’s celebrate this National Bicarbonate of Soda Day in numerous ways to appreciate it.
- Share the health benefits of Bicarbonate of soda, its uses in the kitchen as a leavening agent as well as a cleaning agent on social media using hashtag #NationalBicarbonateOfSodaDay.
- Observe the day by preparing quick breads, soda breads, pancakes, fritters, etc. and enjoy with family members.
- Observe this day by making it a cleaning day using bicarbonate of soda in a variety of ways. Can find hundreds of cleaning uses of it on the internet.
- Learn about the history of Bicarbonate of soda and the manufacturing methods.
- Take a note of home remedies that use baking soda so that they can be used later when needed.
- Kids can do some simple science experiments using baking soda-like volcanoes, rockets, etc.
- Have a dream bath on this day by adding baking soda to the Bath salts which helps in skin cleansing and detoxifying the body, leaving the skin a silky feel.
- You must be tired of baking. So try out a recipe of chicken fritters and enjoy with your family. Chicken can be replaced with vegetables like zucchini, corn, cauliflower, etc.
Here’s the recipe:
– Evenly sliced chicken breasts-2
– 1tsp chicken stock
– 1tsp garlic powder
– ½ tsp baking soda
– ½ tsp soya sauce
– 2tbsp cooking sake
– 2tbsp milk
– 1 egg
– 3tbsp cake flour
– 4tbsp katakuriko
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper lightly by rubbing in. Keep aside for 10mins.
- Put the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and add all the ingredients (except for the flour, egg and starch powder) to it and rub thoroughly and refrigerate for 30mins.
- Now add the egg, flours to the chicken marinade and deep fry them for 3-4 mins in a deep fryer at 330 F.Drain excess oil and after5mins fry them again for 1min and serve hot with honey mustard sauce.
Interesting Facts on National Bicarbonate of Soda Day
- Bicarbonate of soda commonly known as baking soda is chemically called Sodium bicarbonate or Sodium hydrogen carbonate is a white crystalline powder has a rich history dating to 3500BC.
- Ancient Egyptians used naturally available Natron(a mixture containing bicarbonate of soda) like a soap-like agent in cleaning teeth, wounds and also in painting of hieroglyphics.
- In 1791, a French chemist Nicolas Leblanc prepared sodium carbonate commonly known as soda ash. Later in 1846 New York baker brothers began production of sodium bicarbonate from soda ash and carbon dioxide and used it as a leavening agent. Since then Bicarbonate of soda was available to the common people.
- The World Health Organization has added Bicarbonate of soda in the list of essential medicines.
- According to aUNEP publication in 2002, the majority of bicarbonate of soda was used in food and about 5% in cosmetics.
Uses of Bicarbonate of soda:
- As a leavening agent in quick breads, soda bread, pancakes, etc.
- It can be used as toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.
- It can be used in home remedy for heartburn and indigestion.
- It can be used in removing itching and poisonous effect of insect bites.
- It can be used along with vinegar to clear clogged drains.
- It can be used to remove perspiration stains and unwanted odors in clothes.
- It can be used to clean stove top and ovens.
- It can be used to remove bad odor from refrigerators.
- It can be used as a pesticide as cockroaches eat it, dehydrate and die.
History of National Bicarbonate of Soda Day:
Origin of this day is unknown