National Deep Dish Pizza Day:
National Deep Dish Pizza Day has been celebrated every year on 5th April since 1979. Americans celebrate this day to celebrate the most loved varieties of pizza throughout the country.
|2022||5th April||Tuesday||United States|
|2023||5th April||Wednesday||United States|
|2024||5th April||Thursday||United States|
Why National Deep Dish Pizza Day?
National Deep Dish Pizza Day is celebrated to mark pizza in all its varieties. The deep-dish variety of pizza is Chicago original. The day is celebrated to mark the history of the deep-dish variety of pizza. On this day, nobody cares about their calories and instead tries new varieties of deep-dish pizza.
How Can We Celebrate National Deep Dish Pizza Day:
- By simply eating and enjoying your favorite deep-dish pizza.
- Collect information about different varieties of deep-dish pizza and its history.
- Try your hands on deep-dish pizza and enjoy it with your favorite iced chilled drink.
- Post pictures on social media of eating pizza with hashtags like #DeepDishPizzaDay, #NationalDeepDishPizzaDay.
- One can enjoy the holiday relaxing at home, order your favorite deep-dish pizza, wear matching pizza socks, and post pictures with the hashtags.
- Host a pizza theme party or order your foodie friend a cheesy deep-dish pizza.
- Also, you can try your hand at baking a deep-dish pizza with your favorite toppings and some extra flavors of your own choice.
- Visit a deep-dish pizza store and ask them to make some changes for your regular deep-dish pizza, do not worry; they will accept your order.
- You can also go to the Beans, play a field game at the Wrigley Field, and visit as many deep-dish pizza stores as you can. Do not forget to post selfies with hashtags.
- After visiting various stores, you can also rank them and ask for feedback from your friends.
- If you do not live in Chicago, there is nothing to worry about; visit Uno’s Pizzeria and Grill, as there are 130 stores across the country.
Interesting Facts About National Deep Dish Pizza Day:
- Uno’s Pizzeria and Grill has 130 stores across America and some stores across the world, such as Saudi Arabia and South Korea.
- Deep-dish pizzas are made upside-down such as first base, then cheese, then meat, sauce, and toppings.
- Deep-dish pizzas have a crust of three inches so that the pizza can hold everything.
- Deep-dish pizzas do not have that traditional way of eating; instead, they require a fork and knife to eat.
- Deep-dish pizza for the first time was created rather than invented by Ike Sewell, the owner of Uno’s Pizzeria and Grill, in the year 1943.
- It is called deep-dish pizza because it has a buttery, crunchy crust with loads of cheese, sauce, and toppings.
- The owner wanted to open a Mexican shop and not a Pizzeria.
- The very first pizza in the world was made in Greece and not Italy.
- As by its name, deep-dish pizza has a very deep crust resembling a pie instead of the regular pizza base.
- Deep-dish pizzas are not baked in a regular pizza pan but in an iron skillet or steel pan, which is similar to a cake pan.
- A deep-dish pizza pan requires oil and butter to be spread in a good amount all around the pan so that the crust does not stick and burn as it requires much more time to cook.
- The dough of deep-dish pizza is not just regular wheat flour dough but has some cornmeal, semolina, or yellow food coloring, because of which it has a yellow color.
- After keeping in the pan, the dough is pressed from the sides, making thick coverings from the outside to hold the toppings, cheeses, and sauces properly.
- The layer of toppings is very thick and requires at least 30 minutes of baking.
- There are various stores in the United States which also ship their pizza half cooked and frozen.
- There are many varieties of deep-dish pizzas; changes and add ons can be done by the customers.
History of National Deep Dish Pizza Day :
In the year 1943, Ike Sewell, with his partner Ric Riccardo opened a restaurant, Pizzeria Uno, which later changed to Uno’s Pizzeria and Grill. At first, it was just a restaurant that has grown in popularity and has stores across the world.
The word “National” was added in the year 2017. The holiday of this day was created when on April 5th in 1979, the first restaurant of Uno’s Pizzeria and Grill was opened. Earlier, the day was just celebrated as Deep Dish Pizza Day.