National Hangover Day:
National Hangover Day is a holiday that takes place on every January 1st. This holiday is celebrated alongside New Year’s Eve.
|2022||1st January||Saturday||United States|
|2023||1st January||Sunday||United States|
|2024||1st January||Monday||United States|
Why National Hangover Day?
Most people welcome the New Year after having several drinks and cocktails. One of the side effects of drinking too much is hangovers that may make your next day gloom. The New Year’s Day is therefore also used to celebrate the National Hangover Day to ensure that people are able to overcome the effects from the celebrations of the previous night. It also gives people the chance they need to recover before they can head back to work the next day.
How can we celebrate National hangover Day:
Some of the things you can do to celebrate this day include the following:
- Take some hangover remedies
If you have a hangover on National Hangover Day, the best way for you to deal with it is by taking some hangover remedies. You can get some remedies before the day so that you are prepared. There are many ways that one can get relief from a hangover with the most popular ones being ibuprofen, energy drinks, antacids, and snacks such as potato chips. If you purchase your preferred hangover remedy before this day, you will have a great way of you to start a New Year.
- Host a party
National Hangover Day is also the perfect day for you to host an after-party. You can invite all your friends and family that you may have celebrated with the previous day. When hosting a party on this day, the best way for you to get rid of a hangover is by taking less drinks. This is because the following day is usually a workday. You can host a lunch party where you will interact with the people closest to you as you usher in a new beginning.
- Take care of someone with a hangover
If you do not drink, you can also celebrate this day by taking care of someone who has a hangover. This may include your friend or family members. Researching on the best hangover remedies online will give you all the tips you need to ensure that they are able to get rid of the hangover effects they may be having. You can also take the day off and just sleep alongside them as they nurse the effects from the hangover. It may also be the perfect chance for you to learn about taking care of others.
- Post on social media
Social media is always the perfect tool for those who want to celebrate any holiday. On your social media pages, you can share posts and images that will show others how you are getting over your hangover. You can also use social media to give people the tips that work best in treating hangovers. Using the hashtag #NationalHangoverDay will make this day trend on social media platforms and create awareness.
Interesting facts about National Hangover Day:
Some of the most interesting facts to learn about hangovers include the following:
- Hangovers are caused by a toxin called ‘acetaldehyde’, which is produced by the liver. This toxin causes the hangover feeling, which comes with nausea, vomiting, and sweating. According to studies, this acetaldehyde is 10 to 30 times more toxic than alcohol.
- Whiskey causes more severe hangovers compared to other drinks. It is best to keep off whiskey when you do not want to terrible hangover the following morning.
- Oregon capital harbors the largest majority of people who talk about hangovers on their social media pages. This is because the region has many breweries that have given it the title ‘Beer Capital’.
- January is the month when most people post about hangovers on their social media pages mostly on Instagram.
- Hangovers are very expensive to the economy. In research conducted by the University of California, hangovers cause a $148 billion loss every year resulting from people failing to show up for work or performing poorly.
- Some people get more severe hangovers than others do. This is because of the genetic makeup of different people where some have a high alcohol tolerance while some do not. Women are also found to be more susceptible to severe hangovers compared to men.
History of National Hangover Day:
The National hangover Day was initiated by friends in Arkansas in 2015. These friends were having lunch at a restaurant named ‘Oven and Tap’, when they started talking about National Holidays. They recognized how some days have multiple holidays associated with them. One of the days they discussed was New Year’s Day and how many people spend this day treating their hangovers. They hence created the National Hangover Day which is to be celebrated on January 1. This day because approved as a holiday in November 2015. This day is not used to celebrations but rather, it helps people find the best ways for them to overcome their hangovers.