National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
National Ice Cream Sandwich Day:
Celebrated on August 2nd every year. The day is dedicated to ice cream sandwich, a frozen dessert that was common till 1980 in the North American continent.
|2018||2nd August||Thursday||United States|
|2019||2nd August||Friday||United States|
|2020||2nd August||Sunday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on August 2nd
National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
Why Ice Cream Sandwich Day?
The day is dedicated to ice cream sandwich, a frozen dessert that was common till 1980 in the North American continent. It is generally denoted as “cream between” since the ice cream is sandwiched between two cookies or wafer bars. Double to triple layers of wafers and ice cream in between the wafers is also quite famous.
Not only in the United States, as a whole in the North American continent, it was popular until the introduction of cone ice cream.
It is still popular in some of the countries but with different names. Enjoy this day with delicious ice cream sandwich.
How we can Celebrate National Ice Cream Sandwich Day:
Enjoy the day with ice cream sandwich, try different flavors of ice creams and cookies. Use this hashtag #icecreamsandwichDay to post on the social media. Preparing it is very simple.
Just take a cookie, any cookie you want and spread any flavored ice cream gently on it and top it with another cookie of same size. Use chocolate chips for garnishing and it’s done.
It is quite popular in some of the countries with different names. I have enlisted some. Explore more a about it and post using this hashtag #IcecreamSandwich.
Explore more about the origin of the day. Post your findings in the comment section.
Interesting Facts About Ice Cream Sandwich Day:
It has different names in different countries with slight variations in the ingredients and the preparation method as well.
- In Australia, it is called as “Giant Sandwich” where as in the eastern states of Australia, it is commonly called as “Monaco Bar”. However, the original form of ice cream sandwich is known as “cream between”.
- In Iran, it is called as “bread ice cream”. It is similar to that of bastani sonnati, a famous Iranian dessert.
- In North America, it is popular with the same name, “ice cream sandwich”. It is the combination of ice cream sandwiched between the cookies. It is evident through a photo that it was sold during the year 1905 in Jersey shore, however, it was originally patented by Tim Jones, John Defilippis, Jack Delaney and Sam west in the year 1963.
- In Israel it is being called as kasata. It consists of two cookies and a slice of vanilla ice cream in between the cookies. In Philippines, it is called as “pandesal”. Though not quite famous across the country, local ice cream shops sell it.
- In Singapore, it is known as “potong”. It consisted of two wafers bar which is connected together by ice cream slices.
- In the United Kingdom, it was famous as ice cream sandwich which consisted of two bars of wafers sandwiched between ice cream blocks. However, after the introduction of cone ice cream in the year 1980, people started preferring cone ice cream that eventually had led to the downfall of ice cream sandwiches. Now it is rarely seen in the form of nougat sandwich and vanilla ice cream sandwich.
- In Ireland and Scotland, it is commonly known as sliders or nougat wafer whereas in Vietnam, it is famous as bahn mi kep kem.
- In Uruguay, it is famous as Neapolitan sandwich. It consisted of 3 layers of wafers bars sandwiched between different flavors of ice cream layers giving it an impressive look.
History of Ice Cream Sandwich Day:
The creator and origin of this day is unrevealed within our research.