National Moonshine Day:
National Moonshine Day is a celebration of the drink, traditionally perceived as illegal, and it is celebrated on the 5th of June every year.
|2022||5th June||Sunday||United States|
|2023||5th June||Monday||United States|
|2024||5th June||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Moonshine Day?
People love the infusions or the craft cocktails and when we speak of infusions, it is the best when served with the right dosage of moonshine. You can start making your infusion with the old moonshine, add some herbs to the mix, marinate it enough and enjoy the drink. When we speak of moonshine, the topic inadvertently revolves around the bootleggers of that time as well. This was a drink that garnered many cool names and grabbed the attention of liqueur lovers around the country. Songs were written mentioning this drink like “Apple Pie Moonshine”, “Copper Kettle”, etc. which elevated the popularity of this drink to a different level.
It is not just the cool nicknames and the songs in favor of moonshine which demand the celebration of this traditional liqueur. The moonshine is also the drink that reminds us of the prohibition times and how we need to be thankful now to enjoy this and many other drinks without the fear of prosecution now. This is why we celebrate National Moonshine Day in favor of this conventional and popular drink of bootleggers.
How can we celebrate National Moonshine Day?
Celebrating a day for moonshine is not a difficult task, especially if you love your liqueur. And yet, if you are wondering about the best way forward, then we have some interesting tips to help you.
- This is the day to try your hand or rather taste a craft whiskey. Many small firms and individuals distill it since there are no machines involved in making it. If not moonshine, you can relish this day with a craft whiskey, distilled probably in the backyard of someone’s home.
- You can watch a NASCAR race on this day. NASCAR and moonshine have a history to share. Moonshine and other bootlegging whiskeys also have a history with the beginning of NASCAR. It is said that NASCAR’s origins have stories about bootleggers trying to get moonshine spirited away from the authorities on souped-up cars. With the bootlegging going out of trend, there were too many drivers with fast cars idling on, which eventually led to NASCAR. There are studies to show that NASCAR origins can be traced back to the garages of bootleggers.
- The reason why this drink is called moonshine is that it was made in moonlight, away from the prying eyes of authorities. If you are looking to make the celebration authentic, then you may want to enjoy the craft whiskey in the moonlight on this day.
- Share your views, thoughts, etc. online with #NationalMoonshineDay and spread the word about the day and the celebration afoot.
Interesting facts about National Moonshine Day:
On a day celebrating the famous moonshine whiskey and other craft whiskeys, let us get to know more about the moonshine and bootleggers.
- There is legal moonshine manufactured in the current era, which has earned a different reputation for the drink itself.
- Many individuals are preparing and packaging their craft whiskeys or their version of moonshine in canned jars, as they embrace the history. It also helps in experimenting with different flavors and pairing with other drinks as well.
- There are X’s drawn or printed on the jugs having moonshine. It represents the number of times the moonshine was distilled. When a jug comes with XXX on the surface, it means you are looking at the purest form of alcohol.
- Lavinia Gilman, an 80-year-old lady from Montana was a bootlegger who had a still measuring 300 gallons. When charges were brought in, the judge thought it was her grandson who is behind the act.
- During the times of prohibition, many innovative ways were adopted by bootleggers to transport whiskey, the most popular being a funeral procession. It was a convenient option since many authorities were hesitant about stopping a funeral march.
History of National Moonshine Day:
There is no information regarding the birth or origins of this day or the founder who initiated the celebration on this day. But it is a day of enjoying the drink, which was once perceived illegal that is now legit and hence you should use the chance to enjoy this day every year on the 5th of June.