National Pancake Day
National Pancake Day:
IHOP, the chain of pancake restaurants, started the National Pancake Day, celebrated on different dates every year.
Why National Pancake Day?
This is a special day in the lives of pancake enthusiasts, providing them a chance to celebrate their favorite delicacy in their own way. Pancakes are among the easiest, tastiest, and most loved breakfasts, and a day to celebrate them is definitely a joy for everyone. The day is not just a commemoration of pancakes, the most famous and beloved breakfast of America, but is also a day where they raise money for charities. In fact, since the first time celebration of this remarkable holiday in 2006, IHOP has raised nearly USD 30 million for charities until now. This holiday also allows you to enjoy free pancakes at IHOP restaurants with a choice to leave money for charities when you enjoy your favorite breakfast.
How Can We observe National Pancake Day:
This pastry celebration is not just about enjoying your favorite breakfast but it is also a chance to give back to the society we live in. There is no any one way to celebrate this national holiday. However, there are a few things you can do on this day and still preserve the memories.
- Visit the IHOP restaurant near you and enjoy the delicious array of pancakes while donating to a notable cause on this day.
- Spread word about the offer of free pancakes and the charities people can fund through your social media with the hashtag #NationalPancakeDay.
- Invite your friends and family over for breakfast to enjoy the varieties of pancakes on this day which you can choose to make by yourself.
- You can also have a potluck with friends themed on pancakes with different flavors brought in by different people. You can have a discussion on who loves what pancakes and why.
- You can also research on the various type of pancakes available and check out the new flavors which you have never tried before on this day.
Interesting facts about National Pancake Day
On this auspicious day, we bring to you some interesting facts about Pancakes in general.
- Pancakes were consumed with honey by the ancient Romans and ancient Greeks.
- The Elizabethan age saw the pancakes sweetened with apples, rosewater, spices, and sherry.
- It was in the first century AD when the first of pancakes were made by Romans. The first of the pancakes were called Alita Dolcia in Latin which translates to “another sweet”. They were made with milk, spices, eggs, and flour, very similar to the current day pancakes.
- You would find pancakes mentioned quite regularly in the plays of William Shakespeare, probably because he loved eating them.
- The phrase “flat as a pancake” has been in use since the year 1611 as per the Oxford Dictionary.
- Algonquin Indians discovered maple syrup, which is the most accompanied option for pancakes.
- Aunt Jemima pancake flour was the first of the instant readymade pancake mix to be sold. It was in 1889, in Missouri’s St. Joseph where this was first invented.
- Pancakes have a part in every culture. In Sweden, they have pancakes made of pork blood called as the Blodplattar.
- In France, there is a tradition of wishing for something as you hold the handle of the frying pan when the pancake is turned. They also hold a coin in another hand while making the wish.
- In Russia, there are the Blinis which are pancakes made out of buckwheat flour. It is generally served alongside caviar or honey, jam, sour cream. These are also yeasted pancakes.
- During Hanukkah, pancakes made of potato are served to reminisce the Jewish oil lamp.
- People who have an allergic reaction after consuming pancake are known to suffer from Pancake Syndrome.
- Since 1445, England’s Olney town has been hosting a pancake race to commemorate International Pancake Day.
History of National Pancake Day:
It was in the year 2006 when the first National Pancake Day was celebrated and it was initiated by the famous restaurant chain of pancakes, IHOP. There is no specific date of celebration for this day as it is announced by IHOP every year. Pancakes, by historical evidence, have been in existence since the ancient Romans and Greeks. On this day, IHOP offers free pancakes to people who come to their restaurants and gives them a chance to donate of their own free will for the different charities they support.