National Read Across America Day (Dr.Seuss Day):
National Read Across Day is celebrated every year on 2nd March in honor of Dr.Seuss!
|2022||2nd March||Wednesday||United States|
|2023||2nd March||Thursday||United States|
|2024||2nd March||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Read Across America Day (Dr.Seuss Day)?
The event is intended to promote reading habits among children, which is why it is fostered through the schools. If the weekend falls on 2nd March, then it is moved to the closest school day.
The National Education Association has started the annual initiative on reading creative, a part of Read Across America. It aims to spread awareness and encourage children and youth of all the communities across the United States to read. It inspires and motivates them to read wherever they are. A few tips to inculcate reading in children are mentioned below-
- Make the books easily accessible to them. Keep books on all the places they like to spend their time in, for example-Put them in backpacks, purses, cars, or every room of the house.
- Take them to a library as often as possible. Visiting a library and understanding its use can cultivate a love for reading. It also plants genuine respect for the services and benefits it provides.
- Let them observe you reading. It is a well-known fact that children imitate elders. So, if they find you taking out time to read a newspaper, a novel, or a magazine, it will arouse curiosity in them to read as well and learn that reading is important.
- Read to them. Reading aloud to the children, no matter their age, can strengthen their vocabulary and language skills. It also gives way to healthy discussions.
- Let them read to you. This way, you can correct their pronunciations and helps them learn new words and meanings.
How Can We Observe National Read Across America Day (Dr.Seuss Day):
Various things can be done to celebrate this day
- Enjoy reading any book of your choice publicly.
- Volunteer to read a book to a child in school or a library.
- Use hashtags like #ReadAcrossAmericaDay or #DrSeussDay to post on social media.
- Various schools and libraries hold book reading contests and book fairs to discover new books to read.
- Hold a birthday party for Dr.Seuss with Seuss-themed cake, snacks, and books where friends and family can read their favorites books aloud from the selection of his books.
- Go on a reading date or join a reading club with a bunch of your friends or family members.
Interesting Facts on National Read Across America Day (Dr.Seuss Day):
In one of his quotes, Dr. Seuss has said that reading will help you learn and know things that will take you places.
- Various researches show that reading has a significant effect on the grades of children. It increases brain power and strengthens memory.
- Star cast from The Lorax movie, Zac Efron and Danny DeVito, took part in the Read Across America kickoff in 2012. They both read from the selection of Dr. Seuss books.
- Around 40% of the children of school-going age are found to be poor readers.
- Famous Pop Singer Taylor Swift participated in the Read for Trees program, which was a part of the day in 2012.
- The average person reads around 200 to 250 words per minute, and an average CEO reads a book in a week.
- Reading makes us smarter by declining the loss of memory that comes with age.
- Reading fiction is observed to make people make more empathetic towards others.
- Reading for even 6 minutes can be more relaxing than listening to music.
- You can easily access a large range of books online on raastore.com from anywhere in the world.
History of National Read Across America Day (Dr.Seuss Day):
The first National Read Across America Day was observed on March 2, 1998. It was started by a group called the National Education Association (NEA). They decided to celebrate it on 2nd March, which is Dr.Seuss’s Birthday. As he is one of the most well-known authors of children’s books, and many have grown up reading his famous books like Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax, and Horton Hears a Who!