National Rubber Ducky Day
National Rubber Ducky Day:
The National Rubber Ducky Day is celebrated every year on January 13. On this day, people use a rubber ducky for adding fun to their bath time.
|2022||13th January||Thursday||United States|
|2023||13th January||Friday||United States|
|2024||13th January||Saturday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on January 13th:
Why National Rubber Ducky Day?
The rubber ducky is a popular toy that is mostly used during bath time or when swimming. The toy has been around for hundreds of years and they have sentimental value to the people who buy them. Besides, a rubber ducky can also swim to the shores of the ocean as you are taking a swim. In 1992, a ship lost 28000 rubber ducks during a storm and these have been swimming over to shores of different countries. Unlike the popular belief that a rubber ducky is only used by children, the toy can be used by anyone who wants to have a fun-filled bath time or swimming session.
How can we celebrate National Rubber Ducky Day:
Some activities you can engage in to celebrate this day include the following:
- Look for a Rubber Duck Sculpture
One of the best things to do when taking a swim on this day is looking for places that have a rubber duck sculpture. This is usually much better than the rubber ducky and hence will give you a better experience. One of the people who have become famous for creating rubber duck sculptures is FlorentijnHofman. He is a Dutch artist who has created rubber duck sculptures in different countries such as Hong Kong, Sydney, and Amsterdam. He has also shared his work in many other countries around the world.
- Organize or attend a rubber duck race
A children’s hospital in Columbus, Ohio prepares a rubber duck race every year. People who want to sponsor buy a rubber duck that will participate in the race and the proceeds earned are given back to the hospital for research. The owner of the rubber duck that wins the race also gets a great prize. If you are not in a position to attend such a race, the other best thing for you to do on this day organizes a rubber duck race for your community. You can use the money you realized from participation to support various initiatives in the community.
- Take a bath with a rubber ducky
The most traditional way for you to celebrate the rubber ducky day is by filling your bathtub with water and add some rubber ducks. This helps you have a relaxed and fun-filled bath time. You can also add more fun to the bathwater by making it soapier and lighting candles.
- Post on social media
Once you have celebrated your rubber duck day by doing any of the above activities, the next thing for you to do is post on social media. You can take photos and videos of the things you did this day and then post these on your pages. In addition, you can also use the hashtag #NationalRubberDuckyDay.
Interesting facts about National Rubber Ducky Day:
Some of the most interesting facts about the National Rubber Ducky Day include the following:
- Some people have rubber duck collections that they add to every month. Charlotte Lee from the United States earned a place in the Guinness World Records for having the largest duck collection of 5631 rubber ducks that are all unique.
- The largest rubber duck in the world measures 61 feet in height. This rubber duck was created using inflatable vinyl and it is owned by Craig Samborski. Other giant rubber ducks are also found around the world created by the famous Dutch artist, FlorentijnHofman.
- The rubber duck was patented in 1949 by a Russian-American artist, Peter Ganine. He sold around fifty million rubber ducks that were designed by him. The modern design of the rubber duck is based on what Ganine created.
- The rubber duck earned a place in the Toy Hall of Fame in 2013
- Rubber ducks were first made in the 1800susing hard rubber. At the time, the toy was created for chewing and thus it could not float.
History of National Rubber Ducky Day:
There are no records to show the origin of the national rubber ducky day. However, the origin of the rubber ducky can be traced back to the early 19th century. At the time, the rubber ducky was designed using hard rubber, the toy was not hollow, and it could not float. This was because it was designed as a chewing toy. In 1949, the rubber duck was patented by an artist who was able to sell more than 50 million pieces of the toy. This artist also had a great impact on the design of the modern-day runner duck. The rubber duck later gained popularity in 1970 when Ernie, a Sesame Street persona, created a song talking about his rubber ducky. The song created by Ernie has become a very popular song that people now sing when taking a bath using a rubber ducky.