National Shopping Reminder Day:
Celebrated on November 25th every year, The days is Day is observed to remind everyone to do their Christmas shopping, as there is only a month left for Christmas celebration.
|2019||November 25th||Monday||United States|
|2020||November 25th||Wednesday||United States|
|2021||November 25th||Thursday||United States|
Why National Shopping Reminder Day?
The Day is observed to remind everyone to do their Christmas shopping, as there is only a month left for Christmas celebration. Christmas became more commercialized in the 20th century and hence Black Friday, the Friday immediately after Thanksgiving Day became the busiest shopping day of the year in the U.S. As a result shopping malls were overcrowded with shoppers, who wanted to take advantage of the sales and promotions at that time of the year. So National Shopping Reminder Day was observed. Since December month is the busiest shopping season of the year, an unofficial holiday like National Shopping Reminder Day enables us to shop well ahead, and have a stress free Christmas Shopping and celebration. Shopping well ahead of Christmas gives more time to choose gifts for friends and family, and wrap them beautifully with Special note or card on them.
How to celebrate National Shopping Reminder Day?
- Post about National Shopping Reminder Day on social media with hashtag #NationalShoppingReminderDay
- Make a list of what each family needs for Christmas like dress, shoes, cosmetics, etc.
- Make a list of gifts to be purchased for friends and colleagues. Make sure to list out items needed for gift wrapping also and greeting cards too.
- List out the inventory available at home for Christmas decorations. Then list down the additional decorative items to be purchased.
- Now it’s time to check the pantry and refrigerator and list down groceries to be purchased for Thanksgiving and Christmas well in advance. Groceries that have a longer shelf life can be purchased well ahead and others can be listed down to be purchased just before Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- After listing out the necessary items to be purchased, arrange them according to the place of purchase. This would make holiday shopping much easier and the chances of missing out items become very less.
- Choose a few items and go for shopping on National Shopping Reminder Day and post-shopping pictures on social media using hashtag #NationalShoppingReminderDay.
- You can also choose to shop online and be relaxed.
Interesting Facts on National Shopping Reminder Day:
- Shopping during the holiday season is a boon as well as a curse. Boon in the sense that we can get outstanding deals on all purchases and the curse is the long-standing lines! You may need to stand behind a hundred people in a store. That is why National Shopping Reminder Day came into existence- to avoid all the wait and plan well ahead!
- In the 17th-century holiday celebrations gained popularity and also the act of offering gifts. When Christmas celebrations were legalized in the 1680s, Americans started to offer gifts to friends and family. The popular gifts at that time were handcrafted wooden toys and games. Adults exchanged handcrafted needle workpieces also.
- In the 19th century, after the American civil war, many literature works stressed on showing compassion towards the poor and needy rather than gifting friends and family on Christmas.
- Due to the Industrial Revolution, many goods were manufactured in large quantities. In 1850, the first departmental store Macy’s was founded. So people started shifting to manufactured gifts from handcrafted ones from local craftsmen. The decorative items and gift wraps were also introduced at this stage. Christmas cards also became popular.
- According to a report in 2000, in New York City, women purchase 80% of consumer goods and influence 80% of health care decisions.
History of National Shopping Reminder Day:
The origin of celebration of the Day is unknown.