National Son and Daughter Day:
Celebrated on Every August 11, National Son and Daughter day is a family and love centric holiday.
|2022||11th August||Wednesday||United States|
|2023||11th August||Thursday||United States|
|2024||11th August||Saturday||United States|
Why National Son and Daughter Day?
This day is meant to spend some quality time with loved ones and appreciate their existence in our lives. A sweet family time by reviving all the memories and how to encourage your children more, discussing experiences and asking children about their wellbeing and school/college life. The day of acknowledgement that every child is different and they deserve all the love in the world no matter what.
At times, parents aren’t able to recognize what children are going through and eventually tend to hide from them. The same goes with parents, children and parents both belong to different generations, and it is necessary to understand each other with mutual respect and love. Celebrating this day can make a parent close to their child and know them well.
A day to treat your sons and daughters with loads of gifts, and food, go on family trips and have some wholesome time with family. Be it a parent or Grandparent, this is the perfect occasion to celebrate the amazing family you have been blessed with.
Unfortunately, parents and children are so busy doing their daily chores, office and other important work that they forget to spend quality time with their family. A day full of happiness, joy and immense excitement fills our hearts with love and gratitude for each other.
How to observe National Son and Daughter Day?
- Planning a surprise dinner or gift for them.
- Take them for a vacation to their favorite travel destination.
- If your children live in a different town or city for college, one can send them a voice note telling them what they mean to you.
- Posting photos on social media with #SonsAndDaughtersDay.
- Sending them handmade cards and flowers to make them feel special.
- Spending time with them by doing their favorite activities like visiting an amusement park, gardening, baking or going for a trek.
- If any disputes between you two should be resolved with acceptance and love in your hearts.
- More than materialistic gifts, mere appreciation and some motivation is all that children need.
Parents unknowingly do a lot for their children, and we children should be grateful for their small efforts and great sacrifices, which they do every time without thinking twice.
History of National Son and Daughter Day:
The first National Sons and Daughters day was celebrated on August 11 1988. It was observed by J Henry Dussenburry when a child asked him why there is not an occasion for sons and daughters. Parents gifted their children flowers and bestowed them with gifts on this day.
The flowers given were placed in a vase to represent the day. Till 1945, the tradition of celebrating this day reached nearly 22 states. Municipalities and other institutions will also celebrate this day prominently in upcoming years. However, celebrating this day came into existence in the year 1944.
Significance of National Son and Daughter day
- Children got to know their parents well and understand their perspectives.
- The creator of this day is still unknown.
- It makes us realize that love has no boundaries and age. Parent’s love is unconditional.
- This day isn’t a public holiday, but parents either take a day off or have a blast with their children once the office hours are over.
- This day is observed to celebrate the importance of raising sons and daughters correctly.
- Nurturing children and raising them is the reason why this day is observed.
Children come into this world for a reason and with a purpose. Therefore, nurturing, encouraging and living them to the fullest is essential. As a parent, we often make a mistake in understanding their choices and opinions due to a generation gap between them and us. Parenting is all about patience, care and sacrifices so that our children get a brighter future every day when they wake up.
Some parents work and do not have much time to look after them as they leave them in daycare. However, one should ensure that children don’t get distant from their parents or miss out on the parental love they deserve at such a tender age.
This day is not only for sons and daughters but also for celebrating amazing parenthood. Today’s sons and daughters are leaders of tomorrow. Hence, we should all applaud the efforts of children and parents to hustle to achieve this goal daily.