National Sourdough Bread Day:
Celebrated on April 1st every year. The day is to celebrate with Sourdough bread made of Long fermented yeast. The dough made to create a bread consisted of Yeast, Bacteria, Lactobacillus and fermented for a long time.
|2018||1st April||Sunday||United States|
|2019||1st April||Monday||United States|
|2020||1st April||Wednesday||United States|
National One Cent Day is also celebrated on April 1st
Why Sourdough Bread Day?
The day is to celebrate with Sourdough bread made of Long fermented yeast.The dough made to create a bread consisted of Yeast, Bacteria, Lactobacillus and fermented for a long time. This kind of bread sounds little sour, since it consisted of lactobacillus, non-spore-forming bacteria with a rod-shaped structure which converts sugar to Lactic acid.
The sour taste comes from the Lactic Acid. The Lactobacillus lives along with the fermented Yeast, which helps the bread to last long even in an acidic environment. Normally the microbes present in the lactic acid made the bread to decay within a day. The Natural occurring long fermented yeast is used which further add sour taste to the bread.
How we can Celebrate or Observe Sourdough Bread Day:
Let us celebrate this day by making a Sandwich with the use of Sourdough bread. Or just try out some other recipes. Please post your recipes with pictures in the Hashtag #myRecipiesforSourdoughBreadda
Interesting Facts About Sourdough Bread Day:
- Sourdough is made up of starter, The started should be added while making the dough since it helps in growth of yeast and lactobacilli in the flour. The started should be maintained by adding water and flour being termed as “Refreshment”. The starter can be 15% to 25% of the flour weight. The formula differs from bakers to bakers. Some bakers uses the starters which might be more than even 100 years old called as “Mother dough”. Such sourdough bread gives different texture and color.
- Even during the Earthquake in SanFrancisco, a starter was preserved after a great effort.
- Sourdough is Pure. It does not require any Preservatives.The Fermented Yeast helps the Bread to last long.The yeast does not require additional sweeteners, oils, since the Lactobacillus already adds sour taste to the bread. Use of commercial Yeast spoils the sour taste of the bread.
- It is an elixir for Diabetic Patients. It is a low–glycemic diet food and keeps our glucose level in control. Even if we go for a Carbohydrate food for our lunch, it is better to take a Sourdough bread for the breakfast to keep our Glycemic Index low.
- Regarding the Health Aspect, Sourdough bread may produce gastrointestinal issue to those who are sensitive to gluten.
History of Sourdough Bread Day:
- The Sourdough bread was reported to be useful from the Ancient Egyptian Era around 1500 B.Ths. kind of bread made with Friendly Bacteria, Fermented dough consisted of Yeast and Lactobacillus is the most Original form of Bread. It is natural in Taste and used only by Bakers. This is supposed to be the first method of Leavening a dough.
- Sourdough bread is a staple food and considered to be the oldest artificial food baked on high-pressure aeration
- The leavening sourdough might have practiced in France. Later in around 18th century, In search of gold in California, few families of France who are excelled in Making Sourdough bread migrated to SanFrancisco.
- They slowing started baking sourdough bread to the Miners those who were working in the Gold mine .They found the sourdough bread very tasty and started to have the bread on daily basis. Hence the Sourdough bread becomes very famous in SanFrancisco even now
- Rye Bread has low Gluten count, which prevents the Yeast from developing whereas the sourdough does the work perfectly by means of long fermentation.
- Anyhow when Wheat based bread comes into the picture, Sourdough was gradually become almost Obsolete and was replaced by “Barm”, which has Alcohol in it and by Grown yeast. but still, Sourdough Bread is the most delicious bread in terms of its natural Ingredients
- Even the Commercial Sourdough are available in the market but failed to retrieve the texture, taste, and color of the natural Sourdough. Hence could not survive in the market though still in Production.