Spay Day the USA
Spay Day the USA:
Creating awareness about the rising population of pets in the USA, the Spay Day USA is celebrated on the last Tuesday of February every year.
|2022||22nd February||Tuesday||United States|
|2023||28th February||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||27th February||Tuesday||United States|
Why Spay Day USA?
There is hardly anyone who wouldn’t find the little puppies and the cute kittens not adorable. However, the rise in the population of these animals is quite alarming to the animal itself. There are many cases of these cute animals stranded without homes and sometimes even euthanized. In fact, studies show that nearly 1.5 million dogs and cats are euthanized every year in the US to maintain control over their population. Spaying the dogs and cats and neutering them will ensure that there are no unwanted puppies or kittens which could be euthanized in the future. The Spay Day USA is a day to create awareness among the masses about the importance of neutering pets.
How Can We observe the Spay Day USA?
Spay Day offers you a chance to spread the word and awareness about the importance of spaying and neutering pets and how it can actually help in keeping the existing ones safe. This day is being celebrated in the month of February, which is also the Spay awareness or Neuter awareness month.
The entire month of February is considered as an awareness month for Spaying or neutering and many events are conducted by HSVMA during this period. You can also do your part not just on this day, but on any day of February that you are convenient with. Spread the awareness about the importance of spaying with #SpayDayUSA on your online posts.
On this day, here are a few ways you can show your participation on this day.
- If you already have a pet dog or a pet cat, then you can have them neutered or spayed. You don’t have to worry about them not having babies, since anytime you want another pet, you can adopt them from the nearby shelter.
- You can research about spaying and also about pet adoption and share your views and thoughts with your friends and family and also on multiple online forums. Remember to use the hashtag #SpayDayUSA on your posts to ensure maximum reach.
- You can have a meetup with friends who have pets and share your thoughts on spaying. You can also share facts breaking out the myths on adopting new pets or on spaying to disperse the concerns of many pet owners in the country.
- If you are a veterinarian then you can offer a discount on spaying or neutering on pets at your clinic on this day. This would encourage many pet owners to consider the option for their pets.
Interesting facts about Spay Day the USA:
On the Spay Day USA, here we have some facts about spaying and neutering in general.
- Spaying is referred to as the removal of ovaries in female animals and in the case of male animals, the removal of testicles is called neutering. Spay Day USA is a day of awareness of both neutering and spaying.
- There is a myth that purebreds will become extinct upon spaying which is only just a myth. In fact, more than a quarter of the animals which end up in the animal shelter is purebred.
- Spaying or neutering has to be done at an early age, before the first heat for females and before the 6 months for males.
- Quite a lot of states in the USA and countries around the world have programs at a lower cost which makes it an affordable surgery for many.
- Neutering or spaying at an early age also helps in nixing aggression levels in your pets quite well.
- It has been observed that neutered dogs focus more on the owners and do not wander away either.
History of Spay Day USA:
We do not have information on who initiated this awareness day or when it was initiated in the USA separately. It was in the year 1995 when the World Spay Day was first launched in an effort to encourage people to neuter their pets. The HSVMA, or the Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association, uses this opportunity to encourage the pet owners and veterinarian professionals to spread awareness on the benefits of spaying pets.