World Kindness Day:
World Kindness Day is celebrated on November 13 in countries like the USA, Canada, Japan, Australia. This day was formed in 1998 to assert the importance of kindness in the world. Living in a world full of mischiefs, crime, atrocities, some people have left kindness far behind. This day is an effort to invoke the conscience of humans towards love and kindness.
|2021||13th November||Saturday||United States|
|2022||13th November||Sunday||United States|
|2023||13th November||Monday||United States|
Why World Kindness Day?
One of the key characteristics of humans is that they understand each other. Kindness and sympathy are two of the few things we’ve bequeathed from mother nature. Healing the crannies of gender, race, caste, stereotypes, misogyny, etc., kindness among human beings is the need of the hour. Since birth, a human who is forged to believe in community differences like caste and creed fails to recognize the importance of kindness and affection towards others. Fostering the world movement of kindness, organizations are approaching the United Nations to embrace the World Kindness Movement with World Kindness Day and officially recognize it. Many poets like William Shakespeare, Sylvia Plath, John Newton wielded their pens to make the world understand the importance of spreading kindness.
You think of a crime, and some people boast of having committed them. Jeopardized humanity wobbles on the threshold of the 21st century. Humans have not only staked humanity but are flouncing to mutilate other creatures. Such cruelty calls for some ardent action from a supreme body, thus this day. Horrendous crimes like rapes, murders, robbery, nuclear wars are deeply rooted in our hearts. Commencing with a small act of kindness can do wonders.
This day was placed on the NSW school calendar after the NSW Federation Parents and Citizens Association urged the NSW Department of Education to place it on the NSW calendar.
Currently, only 28 countries are moving forth to celebrate this day.
How can we observe World Kindness Day:
- Since World Kindness Day is less recognized and known as compared to other prominent days, spreading awareness and emphasizing its importance is crucial. Use hashtags like #WorlKindnessDay, #SpreadLoveandKindness, #BeKind, #kindness, etc. can be posted on Twitter and Instagram.
- Do an anonymous act of benevolence, such as moving a large branch from the center of the sidewalk or pick up and place a fallen grocery store item on its shelf.
- Perform at least three random acts of kindness and see what magic follows! This can be anything like holding a door open for someone or giving up your seat on a crowded train.
- Commit the day to spread positivity through content that you share on your social media.
- Leave a generous tip for the waiters if you visit any restaurant.
- Make donations to a charity home.
- Do something out of the ordinary to make your family happy, like having a fun family game night or cooking a special dish, or just spending time and listening to a loved one without judgment.
- Kindness and connection are two concepts that are intertwined with each other. On this day, take a few extra minutes to hug your loved ones and friends. They might wonder what got into you, but they will surely enjoy it.
- Set up an alarm three times during different times of the day. Whenever the alarm goes off, text or call someone from your circle and tell them how you admire them for who they are and how much they mean to you.
Interesting facts about World Kindness Day:
- Kindness boosts energy and confidence.
Helping others and being kind towards them elevates the natural levels of morphine and heroin, which elevates our mood.
- Kindness keeps your heart healthy.
Kindness is good for the heart. It results in emotional warmth, which further emanates the formation of chemical oxytocin in the brain. Oxytocin lowers blood pressure and thus prevents over-straining of the nervous system.
- Kindness results in slow aging
Your acts of benevolence and caring reduce your stress, reducing the amount of cortisol hormone released in the body. This cortisol is responsible for aging. Reduced amounts of cortisol allow you to age gracefully.
- Do you know about the kindest person on this planet?
According to mythology, Lord Buddha is considered the kindest of all due to his selflessness towards humans as well animals.
History of World Kindness Day:
A small kindness movement was initiated back in the 1990s. Various countries participated to share and spread their stories of kindness movements in their respective countries. After this movement was a success, a similar conference was invited in 1997. In the year 1997, Tokyo invited philanthropist organizations from all over the world to share ideas on the importance of kindness. It was not until 1998 that World Kindness Day established itself as a prominent day celebrated throughout the world. However, there’s a long way to leap beyond boundaries and recognize this day as an official one.