National Black Forest Cake Day:
National Black Forest Cake Day is celebrated every year on the 28th of March. The day celebrates the super popular dessert, black forest cake, which is enjoyed by many.
|2022||28th March||Monday||United States|
|2023||28th March||Tuesday||United States|
|2024||28th March||Wednesday||United States|
Why National Black Forest Cake Day?
There are very few people who haven’t heard about the dessert Black Forest Cake. It is a dessert that is widely enjoyed by people all over the world. The dessert is also quite popular in the pastry form and is delicious. Black Forest Cake is a cake made with chocolate sponge cake with vanilla whipped cream and cherry filling and icing. Sometimes a cherry and chocolate shards are added on the top for extra garnish. It is a heavenly mix of two popular flavors—chocolate and vanilla. The cake looks very beautiful with contrasts of the whiteness of the whipped cream and the chocolate’s dark color.
The dessert is a popular remake of a similar German dessert called Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which translates to “Black Forest Cherry-torte.” The cake is thought to be named after the Black Forest mountain range in South Germany. The founder of this delectable dessert is probably a baker named Josef Keller, who introduced this to a bakery/confectionery in Germany’s small town. The German name also comes from the sour taste of the cherry filling, which also has the spirit-like taste of alcohol.
The first introduction of the dessert can be dated back to 1915 in South Germany, where Josef Keller is known to have made it. Today, Black Forest Cake is eaten and enjoyed by almost all countries there are. The cake has also taken up new components, and the recipe has been tweaked in different countries. In European countries, bakers like to add rum to the cake to give it a more alcoholic taste. In many bakeries, black forest cakes are stapled and always available to customers. Germany has secured a world record for making the largest Black Forest Cake, which weighed a whopping 2,963 kg or 6,532 lbs.
This delicious treat continues to wow our taste buds and have become an indispensable part of our lives. The flavor pairing itself is now used in other desserts like mousse, slab cakes, ice creams, and sundaes. With goodness and flavor in every bite, this dessert surely deserves a date on the calendar for its celebration and appreciation.
How Can We Observe National Black Forest Cake Day?
Here are some ways in which you can celebrate Black Forest Cake Day:-
- You can enjoy some delicious black forest cake or pastry right at your home.
- You can try making a black forest cake in your home. There are many recipes available online.
- You can distribute black forest cakes among your friends, neighbors, and colleagues.
- You can have a cake party with your friends and family. Cake parties are loved by all and will surely be an ideal way to celebrate the day.
- You can visit a local bakery and volunteer to help them make some black forest cake.
- You can buy or make some black forest cakes and distribute them in homeless shelters or orphanages. After all, everyone deserves to taste this treat on this special day.
- You can spread your appreciation of the cake by making posts on social media. Do include hashtags like #nationalblackforestcakeday or #blackforestcakeday.
Interesting Facts On National Black Forest Cake Day:
Here are some interesting facts about black forest cake which will amaze and delight you:-
- The largest black forest cake was made in 2006 by the patissier, Hans-Dieter Busch. It holds a Guinness World Record.
- Kirschwasser is a sour cherry liquor that is made in Germany and used in black forest cakes in that country.
- There is also a Swedish dish called Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which has a different recipe and used meringue in the dessert.
- In Europe, rum and brandy are also added to black forest cake to give a rich flavor.
- A black forest cake, when stored in a fridge, can last up to 4 months.
- In Singapore, a huge black forest cake was made which had weighed 500kgs or 1100 lbs. This was the biggest black forest cake in Asia.
- During the mid 20th century, black forest cakes were only sold in Germany, Berlin, and Switzerland.
- Black Forest Cake Day is a food holiday that is celebrated in the United States.
History Of National Black Forest Cake Day:
The founder of Black Forest Cake day is unknown. However, it is believed to be someone from the United States itself.