National Mulligan Day:
National Mulligan Day is a celebration of the second chances offered to golf players and is usually celebrated on the 17th of October every year.
|2021||17th October||Sunday||United States|
|2022||17th October||Monday||United States|
|2023||17th October||Tuesday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on October 17th:
Why National Mulligan Day?
Life is full of chances and second chances do not come by so often. However, if you are playing golf then you have more chances of getting a second chance of playing your stroke. While National Mulligan Day is a celebration of the Mulligan, related more to the game of golf, it is a celebration of the second chances that people deserve.
As we fight through the many different situations in our lives, we are often left wanting a “once more” chance to do things right. Mulligan is that second chance offered to the players in golf, who wants to replay a stroke gone badly. It is a form of cheating acceptable by competitors.
How Can We Observe National Mulligan Day?
The word “Mulligan” started out in association with the game of golf. And yet over time, it has become synonymous with second chances in our lives. On this special day, you can do some of the things listed here to celebrate the Mulligan Day.
- Since the term started in association with golf, it is of course natural to celebrate the Mulligan Day enjoying a round of golf with your friends and family. Give everyone a mulligan and take yourself as well as you play golf with a smile on your face.
- There are also golf courses which hold a celebration on National Mulligan Day which you can be part of.
- Catch up with your friends or acquaintances who have grown apart from you over the years. Give a second chance to the many relationships and friendships which have lost touch.
- Learn a new skill that you have always been worried about or scared of. Make a new start and give yourself the chance to learn something new.
- Second chances need not be always a serious point of discussion. It could also be about having a second helping on your favorite food. Enjoy the Mulligan Day with your loved ones, enjoying a second helping of your favorite food.
Tell us how you would like to celebrate National Mulligan Day this year. Share your thoughts and ideas with hashtags #NationalMulliganDay and #MulliganDay on your social media.
Interesting facts about National Mulligan Day:
We don’t always get our jobs done right on the first attempt. But we do not always get a second chance to accomplish what we want either. This is why second chances are always important and hold more prominence in our lives. On the Mulligan Day, let us learn a few facts about Mulligan.
- There are many stories revolving around the origin of the day. An interesting one being a player by the name of Mulligan who kept playing his shots calling it “correction shots”. But his friends started calling it by his name.
- Mulligans are generally used to play a replay of the earlier drive.
- Mulligan is generally allowed once per nine holes, with the golfer discretion on when to use it on any of the nine holes.
- Mulligans are also purchased by golfers for money in the form of coupons.
- It is also commonly referred to by the name “do-over”.
On the Mulligan Day, you can give yourself and others a second chance not only in Golf but also in your lives.
History of National Mulligan Day:
There is no set story or evidence as to how the Mulligan Day came into existence. In fact, as per the USGA (United States Golf Association), there are three different versions of how the Mulligan Day started.
- The first story is about the name being derived from a Canadian Golfer from the 1920s, David Mulligan, who was also a manager of the New York City’s hotel Waldorf Astoria.
- Another story credits the attendant in the locker room, of New Jersey’s Essex Fells C.C, whose name was John A. “Buddy” Mulligan.
- The third version gives credit to a minor aristocrat and a golfer Thomas Mulligan, born in the year 1793.
On the National Mulligan Day, as you enjoy a round of golf with your friends, think about not just the mulligan in golf but also about the second chances in life.