National Rocky Road Day:
Commemorating the iconic dessert and ice cream flavor, National Rocky Road Day is celebrated every year on the 2nd of June.
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on June 2nd:
Why National Rocky Road Day?
Ice cream is one of the most favored desserts in the world and it is loved by everyone despite their age. There are many reasons to fall in love with ice cream with different flavors available to satiate the hunger of different people and to match the palate of different cuisine. And this day is just another way to celebrate this amazing dessert and enjoy it with friends and family. It is a day to get together with your loved ones over an ice cream that everyone loves.
You can also try inventing new flavors with the Rocky Road ice cream which is yet another reason why you might want to celebrate this day. This is the day to experiment on new flavors and try your hand in identifying the best combinations. Lastly, it is a day to enjoy ice cream and there is no better reason than that to celebrate this day, especially during the summer season, in June.
How can we celebrate National Rocky Road Day?
There is no specific day to enjoy a good dessert, more so if it is an ice cream of everyone’s choice. The Rocky Road is a dessert of such magnificence and on this day you can enjoy more than just having the dessert.
- A party with dessert or an ice cream means a day with all your friends and family. This is just the day to invite your loved ones for a party with Rocky Road desserts and ice creams. This is an occasion to make new friends as well over this delicious dessert.
- As you enjoy this day gorging on the delicious dessert, you can mention it on your online posts. You can also include pictures and videos about this dessert on social media and tag it with #NationalRockyRoadDay to bring awareness to this dessert and of course to the day’s celebration as well.
- A typical Rocky Road ice cream has chopped pieces of nuts, marshmallows, etc., in chocolate ice cream. But you can even create your flavors in Rocky Road or have a competition between friends to see who can create a unique and lip-smacking flavor with Rocky Road on this day. This could be a friendly competition too.
Interesting facts about National Rocky Road Day:
Rocky Road is without any doubt the most popular choice as a flavor for ice cream and desserts. And on this day to commemorate this flavor for ice cream, we bring to you some interesting snippets about ice cream in general for you to learn about.
- To make a gallon of ice cream, you would need as much as 12 pounds of milk.
- The USA has the record for most ice cream enjoyed on an average by a person in their lifetime, at about 48 pints yearly.
- A single scoop of the ice cream cone needs at least 50 licks to polish it clean.
- While the US leads the charts of ice cream consumption, Australia and Norway follow the list with maximum consumption on the list.
- The first time a recipe was written down for ice cream was in the year 1665.
- William Dreyer in Oakland created the ice cream flavor of Rocky Road in the year 1929, even though the dessert originated in 1853 in Australia.
- It was in the year 1988 when the biggest ice cream sundae was made and it was in Edmonton, Alberta in the country of Canada.
- While it is the US topping the charts for maximum consumption of ice cream per person, Portland in Oregon of the country tops the charts for the top ice-cream consumption amongst the cities.
- William Dreyer mixed up marshmallows and chopped walnuts to chocolate-flavored ice cream to create this Rocky road flavor. The name of this ice cream became the rocky road during the stock markets crashing in the same year when this ice cream flavor came into being.
History of National Rocky Road Day:
There is no clear information on who or how the day started or when the celebrations began for this amazing dessert. But we do know that the history of this ice cream or dessert dates back to 1853 and in Australia.