National Toast Day:
A delectable breakfast dish, the toast gets its special mention on the National Toast Day celebrated on the Last Thursday in February every year.
|2023||23rd February||Wednesday||United States|
|2024||23rd February||Thursday||United States|
|2025||23rd February||Saturday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on February 23rd:
Why National Toast Day?
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and yet many do not find enough time to load up on the much-needed start to the day. This is why many prefer to have toasts for their breakfast, an easy and quick alternative. It also becomes a flavored breakfast as you can top it with any sauce or syrup or spread of your choice. The humble toast, which is the easiest of breakfast dishes, deserves a day of celebration and commemoration and hence we have the National Toast Day. National Toast Day honors the simplistic toast which can easily blend with many different spreads and toppings to make a wholesome meal on any day.
How Can We Observe National Toast Day:
National Toast Day is generally celebrated in a very relaxed fashion with people making their favorite toasts at home and enjoying it with their favored toppings. However, if you are looking for some ways to make the celebration more memorable then here we have a few tips just for you.
- Organize a toast-making party with your friends and family. You can invite all those people who love having toasts and let them make it in their own favorite bread, wheat or white or sourdough, etc.
- Make your own variations of toast and enjoy it with friends. It could be your favorite toppings on the different types of bread or the same type of bread with different spreads and sauces and toppings of your choice.
- You can just have a picnic with toasts as all you would need is a toaster and the bread to make your favorite toast and enjoy the evening in the most relaxed manner.
- You can also share your favorite toast, and why it is your favorite on your social media account tagging #NationalToastDay to your post.
Interesting facts about National Toast Day:
On the National Toast Day, here we bring to you some interesting facts about Toast, their varieties and toppings, and more.
- Toasting is when bread is browned through exposure to heat and this reaction is called the Maillard reaction. This actually makes the bread firm and also alters the taste loved by many.
- Toasting was used as a way to preserve bread in ancient times. The idea of toast spread from Romans to Europe, Britain, and then later to America.
- It was in the early part of the 19th century when utensils to toast the bread on open flames were first introduced. The wrought iron items made their appearance during this period.
- Alan MacMasters invented the first electric toaster in the year 1893 in Scotland.
- It was in 1909 when the first toaster which was a commercial hit was introduced.
- Toasts are had either with jam or jelly or butter or margarine commonly. However, there really is no restriction on the topping you can use. From cream cheese to Vegemite, there are many toppings you can add over your toast.
- It was in the year 1926 when Toastmaster introduced the first of the popup toasters. The toaster came with a knob for the user to fix the degree of toast on the bread.
- The pop-up toaster and the sliced-up bread on the aisles paved way for automatic toasters with most of the houses having an automatic toaster by the 1940s.
- Every nation has its own version of toast. In the Southern parts of Sri Lanka, the toast is had with mint tea and a curry soup. While in South Korea, the toast is often relished as a sandwich with toppings like meat slices and a variety of sauces.
- While known as the French toast, it actually did not originate from France. There is no real reason or information on how the French toast originated and why it is called so.
- Interestingly the French toast is made of stale bread, a way to make use of stale bread and make the best use of what is available.
History of National Toast Day:
It was in the year 2014 when the National Toast Day was first celebrated and it was established by Tiptree World Bread Awards along with Brook food.