Every June 14 is recognized as Army Birthday that marks the establishment of US Army.
|2022||14th June||Tuesday||United States|
|2023||14th June||Wednesday||United States|
|2024||14th June||Friday||United States|
Why Army Birthday?
Army Birthday marks the official celebration of the establishment of Continental Army of the thirteen colonies. The congress is a legislative body that consist of the delegates from the colonies. To overcome the pressure from the British rule, the congress urged that a military army is in supreme need to rebel against the British intolerable tax acts.
The Army named “Continental Army” was formed in June 14,1775 that consist of around 15000 soldiers to serve all the thirteen colonies. The growth is huge and to thanks and commemorate the formidable achievements of our ancestors, this day is being devoted as “Army Birthday” since 1775.
The celebrations are traditional and wide with the incumbent presidents honoring the founding fathers, generals, commanders, Generals and soldiers of US Army through their speeches.
How can we observe Army Birthday?
Know the History:
Knowing the history of U.S Army would be the best observance to tribute this day.
A quick Notable list of officers who were given important role when the army is formed,
George Washington– Commander-in-chief
Artemas Ward – First General
Charles Lee – Second General
Philip Schuyler – General
Israel Putnam– General
First 8 Brigade Generals of Continental Army:
John Thomas – First Brigade General
Richard Montgomery – Second Brigade General
David Wooster -Third Brigade General
William Heath – Fourth Brigade General
Joseph Spencer -Fifth Brigade General
John Sullivan – Seventh Brigade General
Nathanael Greene – Eighth Brigade General
Have a Chat with Army Veterans:
Have a chat with Army Veterans and if you are yourself a Military officer, share your memories using the hashtags #ArmyBirthday on social media.
Pay your tribute:
Pay your tribute to all the officers and founding members who strived hard to give us the world’s best Army today. Without their carvings and implementations, the army would not be the No.1 in the world now.
Take this history quiz,
- How many soldiers were there when the army was formed?
- Who was the first commander of US Army?
- What is the Manpower of US Army?
- Who stands Top in Manpower Army in the world?
- Which country has the Top Military Army in the World?
- How many armies does the US Army have?
Share your Quiz:
Share your quiz regarded to US Army and explore how many Americans does really know about the history of our Army. Share your quiz with hashtags #ArmyBirthday.
Interesting facts about Army Birthday:
Some to-be-known facts about US Army,
- The first U.S army reported to be consisted of 10000 Men on June 14, 1775. It was doubled within a week.
- The first commander-in-chief of the Continental Army (which is now called as US Army) is George Washington, one of the founding fathers of the United States and hailed as the “Father of the Nation”.
- 5 Senior officer positions were installed to assist the commander-in chief to regulate the army with other higher positions. Nepotism started to spread here as delegates appointed their sons or sought positions for their sons.
- Artemas Ward became the first General. He previously proved himself in American Revolutionary war.
- John Thomas was the first choice for Sixth Brigade position and Seth Pomeroy was appointed as the First Brigade general. Thomas was not okay with the position and later as Seth Pomeroy declined the offer citing his age and health issues, Thomas became the first Brigade General of Continental Army. The Sixth position was vacant and was not filled.
- The Continental Navy, Continental Marines were established on October 1775 and November 1775 respectively.
- All the Thirteen colonies ratified to be unified as a single country named United States of America on 1776.
- The Colonies declared their independence from British rule in the year 1776 when George William Frederick is still their King. Though the Britain not agreed, it was unanimously declared by all the thirteen colonies.
- The Flag act to define the design of American flag was adopted in1777.
- George Washington, the first commander-in-chief resigned from Army by the year 1783.And after six years he became the first President of the United States.
- Court of Appeals in Cases of Capture, the first Federal court in the United States was established in the year 1780.
- The First Chartered Bank, Bank of North America was established in the year 1781.
- The anti-government protest by around 400 soldiers of the Army forced the Congress to flee Philadelphia. Federal states were formed later then.
- The first new federal government for all the 50 federal states was formed in 1788.And presidential elections are ratified.
- George Washington became the first president of the United States.
History of Army Birthday:
The continental congress, an assembly that executed law for thirteen colonies and the newly formed United States, established an enlistment of riflemen to serve the thirteen colonies for one year. The committee named it “the American continental army” On July 14, 1775. Thus, US Army Birthday is being observed on every July 14.
Though records states that it had only small number of man force, but it is believed to be much more. when initially formed, it is estimated to be at least 15000 men. Just a week after the enlistment, the army is doubled that envisioned on July 14, the establishment day.
The group is named as companies, and each company had captain, 3 lieutenants, 4 sergeants, 4 corporals, a drummer and 68 privates. Companies were recruited frequently and the responsibility were given to the three colonies: Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia.
Later, commander-in-chief was chosen. His name was unanimously chosen by the congress considering his military experience. He was appointed on June 16, 1776. The day after his appointment, senior officers were appointed. Five new positions namely an Adjutant General, a Commissary of Musters, a Paymaster General, a Commissary General, and a Quartermaster General were installed. Ranks created for major general and brigadier general. The army by this time had 4 major generals and 8 brigadier generals.
Artemas Ward was appointed as the First General followed by Charles Lee who became the Second General. In order to satisfy all the thirteen colonies, two more generals namely Philip Schuyler and Israel Putnam were appointed.
There was a political strife in appointment of Brigade Generals, to compromise the delegates, Brigade generals were appointed in favor of powerful personalities.
The remaining hierarchy was formed in subsequent years making the U.S army infrastructure complete and firm.
Infantry -14 June 1775
Adjutant General’s Corps -16 June 1775
Corps of Engineers-16 June 1775
Finance Corps -16 June 1775
Quartermaster Corps – 16 June 1775
Field Artillery – 17 November 1775
Office of Mounted Commands – 12 December 1776
Ordnance Corps – 14 May 1812
Signal Corps – 21 June 1860
Chemical Corps – 28 June 1918
Military Police Corps – 26 September 1941
Transportation Corps – 31 July 1942
Military Intelligence – 1 July 1962
Aviation – 12 April 1983
Special Forces – 9 April 1987
Several other departments for Special forces were installed simultaneously,
Army Medical Department – 27 July 1775
Chaplains – 29 July 1775
Judge Advocate General’s Corps2 – 9 July 1775
Civil Affairs – 17 August 1955
Now its called as Federal Army or US Army.