National Doctors Day:
National Doctor’s Day is celebrated every year on 31st March. However, it may vary from country to country. This day is dedicated to doctors and physicians all over the country who contribute so much to society.
|2023||31st March||Friday||United States|
|2024||31st March||Sunday||United States|
|2025||31st March||Monday||United States|
Related: Other National Days Celebrated on March 31st:
Why National Doctors Day?
The celebration of this day was first observed in 1933 in Winder, Georgia. The first time it was celebrated on 28th March, by placing flowers on the graves of physicians and doctors who died. Many people also mailed cards to their doctors and their wives. The first celebration also included a formal dinner at Dr. William T. Randolph’s place.
Then a resolution was passed by Mrs. Almond, where she suggested that we should designate a day to pay tribute to doctors all over the world. Borrow County Alliance adopted this resolution. This was followed by presenting this idea in front of Georgia State Medical Alliance by the president of Borrow County Alliance in 1933. This resolution was then adopted at an annual meeting held at Augusta, Georgia, on 10th May 1934.
This resolution had to undergo many stages of evaluation before it was widely accepted. Finally, the Women’s Alliance president of Southern Medical Association, Mrs. J. Bonar White, introduced this resolution at its 29th Annual meeting held at St. Louis in Missouri on November 19-22, 1935. After this, Doctor’s Day was widely celebrated all over the world. It was seen as a day to commemorate doctors’ contributions to society and be immensely grateful to them.
Doctor’s Day was then declared a National holiday by the United States Senate and Representatives during the 101st United States Congress. President Bush sanctioned this on 30th October 1990. Since then, Doctor’s Day is celebrated widely as a National Holiday all over America.
Dr. Marion Mass had some better ideas. Along with Dr. Kimberly Jackson and Dr. Christina Lang, she decided to change this doctor’s day to officially a doctor’s week, which was accepted in March 2017.
In India, Doctor’s Day is celebrated on the 1st of July. This is done to commemorate the legendary Physical Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. He was also the second Chief Minister of West Bengal. Dr. Roy was born on 1st July 1882 and died exactly on this same day 80 years later. He was also honored by Bharat Ratna Award. This day is celebrated in India to highlight the contributions of doctors and thank them. India has made many achievements in the medical field, and this would not have been possible without our doctors’ relentless efforts.
How many times have you felt sick in the middle of the night? And whenever such cases happen, your mother immediately calls a physician. In maximum cases, they readily pick up your calls and suggest medicines or are sometimes even ready to diagnose you at that odd hour. This is the power of a doctor and their dedication towards their work.
Doctors work day and night and are always in direct connection to the contaminated environment or a contaminated patient. But they still take care of them. They not only physically cure the patient but also give a lot of mental and emotional support to the patients as well as their families. We need to realize the small things that a doctor does for us and are sometimes ignored by us. We should be grateful to them.
Doctors are sometimes also given the title of Gods by many people. It is commonly believed that God has given us life, and he is the one that looks after us. This is exactly what a doctor does. Sometimes doctors perform miracle surgeries and cure almost incurable damages of a person. It is like the gift of a new life to the person. From our birth to our deaths, we cannot even imagine our lives without doctors. They look after us, give us medicines and take care of us in every way possible.
Doctors are truly superheroes. They fight wars off the frontiers. They experience happiness when a child is born, and they only have to face the family of the patient who is dead. Sometimes the families may blame the doctors. Doctors are not only working physically and through their skills, but they also have to face a battle of their mental health every day. They have to mentally prepare themselves to deliver both good and bad news and face the consequences. Being a doctor is a very challenging task, and we should appreciate them in all ways possible.
How Can We Observe National Doctors Day?
Let’s look into the fun and innovative ways to celebrate this day!!
- The first and foremost thing you can do is say a ‘Thank You.’ Yes, this may look like a small thing, but it has a great impact. It can bring a smile to someone’s lips. These doctors work day and night and take care of their patients, sometimes even at the cost of their health. We should commend and appreciate this and also encourage others to do the same.
- You could gift your physician a small bouquet or a corsage. This symbolizes their qualities of love and sacrifice.
- Maybe you could pamper your physician a little. Please arrange for a small massage and let them relax. These doctors are true heroes who are always on their feet and just a call away.
- You could take the initiative of asking all the patients of a particular doctor to write “Happy Doctor’s Day” notes for him. Collect all of them and present them to the physician. Trust me; this will brighten up their day!
- Arrange a small donations campaign. Ask your coworkers, friends, family members, etc., to contribute to this. Then you could send these to a charity in the name of the physician.
- Show some love. Post pics with your physician or tag them in a post showing to them how grateful you are, and they are never taken for granted. Use hashtags like #NationalsDoctorsDay or #DoctorsDay.
Interesting Facts On National Doctors Day:
Some fun facts on Doctor’s Day!
- This day is celebrated all over the world in different ways. People devise their innovative ideas to celebrate this day and make their doctors and physicians happy!
- You won’t believe it if I say, but it is a proven fact that doctors work way more than an average American! They work almost for about sixty hours per week, and their job is not an easy one.
- There are even hallmark cards for this day.
- More than half of medical school graduates are women
History Of National Doctors Day:
This day is celebrated in different parts of the world for various reasons, but the ultimate goal is the same for all. This is to show gratitude to the doctors and cherish and appreciate their contributions. This is celebrated on 30th March because it was the first time, on this day, anesthesia was developed. Imagine going through all the painful procedures without anesthesia. In 1842, Dr. Crawford performed a surgery that had to remove a tumor from a man’s neck. The whole process was supposed to be quite painful, but the man woke up and was utterly surprised as he claimed that he did not feel anything during this whole process. He was unconscious the whole time, and when he woke up, the process was already completed! Kudos to the medical team and doctors!